GO!

The Ultimate Rescue Transport Survival Kit

This is a special place for Dogsters to help Dogsters arrange for community transport of rescues or dogs being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furever homes!

Bauer

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:50am PST 
I drive for several relay-style rescue transports. Lately, I've been driving frequently enough to justify building a kit in a storage bin. That way, if I get called last minute to fill in for a driver I can just toss the kit in the car and go.

I'm about to print up my checklist and laminate it, so I don't overlook anything as I refill the kit when I get home. I figured I'd share it here in case anyone finds it helpful. I'd also love suggestions from those of you who have been doing this longer than I have!

So, here's the list:

*Pre-Kitted*

Run Sheet

Cell Phone

Disposable Water Dishes (I save containers that yogurt and cottage cheese come in, when I'm out of those I use plastic bowls).

Clean washcloths or rags - you can moisten with water to clean up a puppy that has messed in its crate.

Paper Towels

Latex or Nitrile Exam gloves

Black yard waste bags for laundry (dirty crate towels and washcloths go right into one of these at the handoff location)

Gallon Ziploc bags for trash

Poop bags

Slip leads

Nutracal or Karo Syrup (for pups and small dogs showing signs of hypoglycemia)

Unflavored Pedialyte (for dogs showing signs of dehydration) this doesn't keep once opened, so I like to buy the small bottles.

Shower Curtain Liners (from Dollar Tree) these make great tarps to lay down so unvaccinated pups can stretch their legs without touching the ground. They can be bleached in the washer, or if they are really nasty, are cheap enough to toss without regret.

Vienna Sausages. These nasty things are great for luring a scared escapee back to you.

Zip Ties. These are handy for crate repairs, or if you have a pup that didn't drink much at the stop, you can strap a water dish to his crate door for him.

Extra crates if you've got them - in case behavior or health issues cause you to split up dogs that were crated together.

Every old ratty towel you have ever decided to get rid of.

*Last Minute*

Water - I keep a couple stainless bottles in my kit and fill them with water before I head out.

Spray Bottle of Bleach Solution - I like a 30% solution myself.

Bleach Solution Washcloths - I cleaned out a big empty Mayo jar that I keep in the kit. I pour in some solution, then drop in a bunch of old washcloths to make bleach wipes. These are handy for cleaning up your hands and arms between animals to prevent the spread of disease, as well as quickly sanitizing a crate if you have to reallocate.

NOTE about bleach solution. It loses potency over time, so it's best to mix it right before you leave the house. Don't store the leftovers for the next run - sanitize your crates as soon as you've dropped off, then throw the unused solution and cloths in the laundry with your crate towels (add fresh bleach too, of course).
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 11:29am PST 
Your bleach solution is a bit strong...ideally, one part bleach to 30 parts water. Anything stronger won't be anymore effective but it will damage metals, fabric AND, most importantly, dogs and humans respiratory systems if they must inhale the fumes. A 30 to 1 mix has almost no bleach odor and has been proven to be effective and not harmful to human or animal tissue.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 2:55pm PST 
We bring bungee cord in case there's a problem with a crate staying shut, or to bungee crates together so they don't fall over. slip leads. I never trust the collars on the dogs. We also bring sharpies and masking tape to label the crates. Different colored tapes or markers help to quickly identify which dogs get dropped off at certain locations. Our transports are big- often 40-50 dogs in a cargo van. So we also have fans that plug into the cigarette lighter to keep air moving.
[notify]

Bauer

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 9:41am PST 
Toto, thank you for the input. One of the transports that I regularly drive for repeatedly states they require bleach-water solution of at least 30% solution for sanitizing crates. I wonder if they mean to say 1/30, not 30%.

At any rate, with the 30% solution, you can be pretty damn sure that the hardiest of viruses are dead laugh out loud
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:36am PST 
I wouldn’t use a bleach solution that is that strong! I usually bring rope to secure the crates to the back of my pickup.
[notify]
Bella

You gonna eat- that??

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 3:45pm PST 
Bauer! What a great list! I coordinate runs and I wish all drivers were as prepared as you are applause
[notify]
Bella

You gonna eat- that??

Barked: Thu Aug 29, '13 3:47pm PST 
Bauer! What a great list! I coordinate runs and I wish all drivers were as prepared as you are applause
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:06am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots
[notify]