GO!

Rescue Pup From High Kill Shelter Needs Transport

This is a special place for Dogsters to help Dogsters arrange for community transport of rescues or dogs being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furever homes!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 1:12pm PST 
This pup was adopted by us from a high kill shelter in DuFuniak Springs FL. We live in Oswego, NY. We are trying to get our little guy home. He needs transport June 7, 2013. Any help would be so appreciated. We have a loving home waiting for this pup.

Dexter is a mix breed (unknown)
He weighs 7.5 lbs at approximately 10 weeks
He will be neutered, vetted, and quarantined

Any help or suggestions would be great!
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 7:37pm PST 
Why is that the set transport date?

Your best control of the situation will probably come from simply having him flown commercially as cargo. Several major airlines offer the service. It's not all that expensive, for a small puppy like that it might be in the range $200-300. There's a very small degree of risk involved, but in my opinion, less risk than with most over-the-road pet transporters.

Good for you adopting this pup! wishes

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 10:59pm PST 
Thanks so much. We looked into that. There are no main airports close to the shelter. That is the date we requested because we have him in foster (so he could get out of shelter) but they can only keep him till June 7th. Hopefully we can work things out with the foster and they can travel a little further to get him to the airport. United Airlines quoted us as $240. They have a petsafe program so we would most likely transport with them. Because of all the requirements and the distance of the airport, our foster was a little apprehensive. We wanted to check all options and use that as a back up plan. After a lot of research it will probably be the route we take unless any rescue transports help us out.

We always wanted to adopt from the south. So sad how many pups get PTS in those shelter. Can't help them all but we can give Dexter a wonderful home.

Thank you for your response. We really appreciate it.
[notify]

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Fri May 24, '13 8:53am PST 
Yes, it is sad that so many dogs are euthanized in Southern shelters!
As you said, you can't save every pup, but you can be everything to this one pup! Dexter is a lucky boy indeed. I hope he'll bring you many years of love and joy.

cloud 9