GO!

want to adapt a dog in Florida from a shelter but live in Ohio

This is a special place for Dogsters to help Dogsters arrange for community transport of rescues or dogs being re-homed. Even though we love our community, please remember this is the Internet. Be sure not to post personal information publicly or share it prematurely; always use your best judgment when working with people unknown to you. Thanks for helping our furry friends get to their furever homes!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 10:46am PST 
Hi, I have found a dog on petfinder that's at a shelter in Pasco county, Fl and I live in Ohio. Can anyone help me get this dog in Florida to Ohio? Thanks.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 11:18am PST 
Have you contacted the shelter? Got an okay for adoption?

I am between you and them and could try to work something out.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 2:04pm PST 
Just to play devil's advocate, what is so special about the Florida dog? Aren't there gazillions of shelter dogs in Ohio, of pretty much every breed, that need to be adopted just as much?

I have nothing against well-planned long distance adoption, but there are a few things to consider:

1. How can you be sure that it really is the dog you want without meeting in person? Shelter/rescue people will fudge Petfinder descriptions to make dogs sound more adoptable- gloss over trouble spots like health and behavior problems.

2. What if it doesn't work out? How will you return the dog, or would you have to turn it in to a shelter or rehome it yourself? Can you afford to take on a dog with issues since returning it is not an option?

If the answer to 1 and 2 are "I'm sure it's right" and "Yes, I will do whatever it takes to keep the dog" then hooray! Just wanted to make sure you've thought this out.

My suggestion for getting the dog to you is to hire a pet transport company- Vagabond Hound (and others, that's just the name of the one I know) will drive a dog anywhere in the country for around 300 dollars OR you can fly down there in person and take the dog as cargo on the return flight. That might be easier than trying to wrangle strangers into driving up to you in sections because it's hard to find a day/time when everyone can do it, and people tend to flake out.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:21pm PST 
I live in southern AL/Mobile area. If you want to set up a transport I would be happy to take a leg. xamier@wildblue.net
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 6:46am PST 
Guest,
Savvy has a good point. Have you even gotten approval from the shelter in FL ? There was a time,things may have changed,when out of state adoptors were not permitted by law. Also,if you adopted as a FL resident and planned on moving out of state the dog had to be returned to the shelter. Things may have changed alot in recent years but my mother was once about 10 years ago willing to take a dog someone she knew couldn't keep. When she took it to the vet they checked the chip and it was a dog listed as stolen from the Florida shelter system. On further investigation the adoptor didn't follow the shelter guidelines so the dog was taken from the vets office and transported back to the shelter for rehoming with a Florida resident. My mother was not charged but the person removing the dog from FL. was. Please be careful and check the laws. You may be trying to arrange transport for a dog that isn't permitted to leave Florida. Does anyone have more recent information on this policy? I would like to know rather than give improper advice,thanks!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 9:52am PST 
Went and looked at the Pasco County Animal Services page because I don't have anything better to do.

They don't outright say that they WON'T adopt outside of the area, but they do say they require a photo id of the adopter...so it would seem to follow that you gotta show up.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 10:29am PST 
"On further investigation the adoptor didn't follow the shelter guidelines so the dog was taken from the vets office and transported back to the shelter for rehoming with a Florida resident."

Can they really do that? I thought that legally dogs were property and you can do what you want with them (most of the time.) I've read that often times adoption contracts are not legally enforceable, no matter what breeders/rescues may say.

I adopted Bruno from an Arizona shelter and gave them my real address (in Oregon) and they had no problem with that (well, one of them said, "Wow! You came all the way here to get a dog?!" smile I was actually visiting for other reasons.) There was nothing in the adoption paperwork about having to keep him in AZ, and his microchip is registered to me, not the shelter. There's no way he could be taken back to them.

Florida might be different of course, but I wonder if in that case the adopter never changed the microchip and it only had the shelter info...

Very good point though that you have to get approval from the shelter for a long distance adoption. My own local AC shelter requires counseling and a waiting period between choosing and taking home your dog, I don't think they would allow a proxy to do the counseling part for you... dunno. Maybe they could do it over the phone.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 11:12am PST 
Bruno,
Apparently at the time,as I said it's been about 10 years,Florida did have rules that no dog going through their shelter system could be removed from the shelters jurisdiction in order to ensure that proper follow-ups could be done and to do so the dog had to stay in Florida. I don't know if those rules applied to rescues. I only know what happened in this case. Removing the dog from the state of Florida was a violation of the adoption contract which from the copy my mother was able to obtain stated something to the effect that if for any reason the adoptor could not keep the dog it was to be returned to the shelter for re-homing. The adoptor had no right under the contract to re-home the dog at all,let alone remove it from Florida. As I said I don't know what current law there is,but before adopting from Florida or another state I would certainly check into it.
I would guess that just as other contracts are enforceable this one was as well. I'm guessing that since the person who gave my mother the dog,signed the contract,that the dog since the contract stated the shelter would take the dog back for rehoming if the adoptor couldn't keep it,when they gave the dog to my mother,thus giving up custody the dog once again became the property of the shelter,which would give them the right to have it returned. I'm guessing the shelter retained specific rights to protect the dogs in it's system from being abused or adopted to be used for purposes other than being a family pet such as someone going in and over a period of time adopting dogs the reselling for research. If I were considering adopting either through shelter or rescue,from another state I would want to read the contract carefully and make sure I wasn't doing anything that violated either my state or the state I was adopting from's laws. If anyone does know of a change in the law in Florida please advise as I don't want to pass on incorrect information. Thanks!!
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:14am PST 
Actually..there isn't a "Florida" shelter system (at least now).

Each county or city runs their own and comes up with their own rules.

Bella isn't from a county shelter-she's from the Humane Society but her chip is registered to me, not the shelter.
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 8:54am PST 
I live in Florida and have adopted my last three dogs from the local shelter. While there is a return clause if for some reason I have to give them up, there is nothing stating I can't leave the state. I've also pulled three dogs from different shelters to be shipped out of state with the shelter's knowledge and received no resistance.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2