GO!

Holiday travels dilemma

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 11:08am PST 
My sister and her husband bought a very, very nice vacation home up in the mountains and want to have Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings there this year.
My sister welcomes Moose, but not in the house (which I totally understand and respect).

If I go, I will definitely bring Moose because it will be his first visit to the snow (if there's snow)and I can't wait to see him play in it.

My dilemma is this-- since Moose isn't allowed inside, he will be in his crate in the garage at night and whenever I don't have him out and about during the day.
During the day I don't mind him just hanging out in his crate since I plan on wearing him out on our outings.
My concern is at night when the temps drop into the 20's. Lower if we are having a cold snap. Now, I understand Moose is a "snow" dog, but he's never, ever spent any time sleeping out in the cold and I'm not sure I'm ok with having him sleeping in really cold temps, in a garage all by himself.

I'm debating whether I should stay at a near by hotel, that way Moose can be inside with me at night. (During the day he'll stay in his crate in the garage).
But, I know my sister will pitch a fit about me staying at a hotel when I've got a "free", nice place to stay.

Anyway I could make sleeping in a cold garage more comfy for him? I'd say space heater, but in a garage with two cars in it, that's not safe.
I could load up his crate with blankets I guess.
(I'll be getting him a vinyl, easy to transport crate, so that should trap heat a little better than a wire crate. Especially with a blanket over it).
Any other ways of making his nights not so cold?

I know Moose isn't made of glass, but he is my baby.

Also, Moose isn't one of the extreme panting, looking for the coolest spots to lay down kind of Saint. As long as it's not hot, Moose is comfortable. Even during our mild heat waves this summer, Moose would climb up onto my bed at night, which I didn't think he'd do.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 9:34pm PST 
Either way, but definately more important if he stays in the garage overnight, put something under the crate to act as a barrier in addition to bedding inside the crate.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 10:04am PST 
I think it would be better to get a hotel. If he isn't used to the cold,sleeping in the cold, making him sleep in his crate in an unheated garage wouldn't be fair or safe.

Fritz would freeze to death sleeping in an unheated garage. When we have really cold snaps here. (ie it gets cold enough to freeze at night) Fritz hangs near a heater or heater vent at night, although he enjoys romping in the cold in the day time. He doesn't know he is supposed to be able to live in the arctic in winter)

Getting a hotel would also give you a space to yourself and time with Moose to unwind and relax.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 10:41pm PST 
Nare has been conditioned to the cold (I think, we do a lot of snow activities).. But when we're camping in the snow he has his own sleeping bag and stays warm. So maybe just throw a sleeping bag in his crate ? smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 4:57am PST 
When I was showing my labs we would have them sleep in the car. Due to the smaller size the car would hold their body heat. We did use the vari kennels so there was less exposure to breezes thru the wire sides, and used blankets over the crates.
I don't know if your car is large enough for his crate, but maybe this could work?? And, you could park your car in the garage for added security and warmth.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 6:50pm PST 
I put lots of blankets in Princesse's kennel in the coldest parts of winter so she can burrow. I realize she is a long way from being a snow doglaugh out loud

Bunny, OTH , gets too hot just cuddled up next to me! If he could stand being apart from me, he would probably like a cold garage smile Although, he does seem to get cold at about -20 C thinking
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 9:38am PST 
I would opt for the Hotel idea too. Having just returned from a holiday and experiencing just how cold it was in the unheated garage, I wouldn't have left my two in there, and that was with temps in the 40's/50's!
[notify]
River

Tennis ball nut

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 4:40pm PST 
So glad Moose gets to go along. There's always that chance that he will be invited into the house after all. Don't rule it out! smile

I think either idea would be fine, and you should do what you want to do. Moose will be just fine in the garage. He'll be so tired out just from being in a new place, that I bet he'll sleep like a rock. Definitely put a blanket under the crate and over the crate to help trap heat, and give him a thick blanket or two to curl up in. You could also feed him a little extra so he has a bit more energy. I really think he'll be fine, but I know it's hard not to feel bad for them! Keeping him in the garage just seems so much easier and less stressful than driving back and forth from a hotel, but that's just my opinion.

Do you have any type of fleece/coat/sweater he could wear?
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Nov 25, '13 6:00pm PST 
So, here's where it stands with Moose and sleeping in the garage.
As of this weekend, the night time, early morning (1am-5am) temps in the city their house is in are in the mid teens. Not a temp I want my dog sleeping in.

My brother in-law says that the garage doesn't get below freezing, but I have a hard time believing that. Either way, I don't want Moose sleeping in 32 degree weather.

I wasn't able to get a room at a hotel close enough, so here's my plan of attack. If it doesn't go well, I won't stay.
(By close enough meaning that I might as well stay home and drive the 3 1/2 each way every day).

Under Moose's crate in the garage I will lay an electric blanket kept on a low setting. In his crate will be a dog bed. I will drape another electric blanket over his crate, kept on low, maybe medium, then one more regular blanket over that and hope that all of this keeps him warm.

What do you all think?

Moose's crate is a canvas style crate with two windows and one door. He will not be able to chew on either blanket. And even if he could, he wouldn't. But, if it was accessible to him, I wouldn't do this.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 26, '13 7:54pm PST 
Honestly? I would stay home with my dog. If my family couldn't even offer a bathroom for my dog to sleep in, I wouldn't care to go.

However, if you are determined to have Moose sleep in a freezing garage, I would look into the heating pads made especially for dogs. I would be afraid he could get too hot or a short or something with electric blankets.

Being that he is used to living inside, maybe leaving him home with a house sitter or at a good boarding kennel would be best.

How much fun will he have if he can't be in the house where he is used to living? Are you taking him because it will be good for him or because it is what you want?

Good luck, whatever you decide.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2