GO!

Conflicted About Safe Car travels!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 4:25pm PST 
Well I have a kurgo true fit harness for Kashmir with a tether that attaches to the seat. I've become obsessed with watching videos on youtube about car seat harness and dogs. Alot of the videos show the stuffed dog and it looks pretty bad. It looks like the dogs neck and back would break when wearing the seat harness, is this true? I cant find anything online..and I've seen the plastic crates just explode on impact. shock So what is exactly the safest way to travel with your dog in the car?
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:29pm PST 
I've chosen to go the seat belt harness route. I use a Champion Canine Seat Belt System. It's very strong, fits my dog, is easy to put on and take off, and I can easily move the system from car to car. I haven't found a car where I couldn't set up quickly.

She mopes when it's time to put it on, but too bad.

If I didn't use the Champion, I would use the Roadie. However, the Roadie is more difficult to put on my dog.

I think it is just safer for her to be belted in like the rest of us.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 3:37pm PST 
Yes I've seen some of those videos as well but really would it be safer to have them loose? I'm using harness/seatbelt for Jewel in a booster seat, the booster seat gets seat belted in. Jem is crated but once she's adult sized I'll get her the same set up as Jewel.

People still get injured in car accidents even with seat belts & airbags, I suspect no matter what we do with our pets they will get injured as well. My car's passanger airbag doesn't turn on unless there's at least 60lbs (for childsafety) so Jewel rides in the front and often gets the "safety arm" if I'm breaking hard. laugh out loud
[notify]