GO!

Keeping The Vehicle Clean?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:04pm PST 
My fiance and I sold our little Kia Rio and bought a GMC Jimmy instead, as we have a baby on the way VERY soon, plus the two dogs, and a large stroller.

The plan was to get a SUV so that we can have the dogs separated from the seats by a barrier in the back. This is mostly for the safety of baby when he's born and riding in the SUV in the backseat in his carseat. Charlie is typically good about staying off carseats, unfortunately, he's not good about not climbing all over when it comes to spotting another dog - he goes nuts, barking and trying to get to that side of the vehicle(he NEVER comes up front though, we don't let the dogs up front with us ever). And... well, Ria is just an energetic puppy that doesn't realize that she is capable of hurting people.

SO... To keep everyone happy and safe, this is our plan and there's PLENTY of room back there for them.

Unfortunately, it's one of the very few places in our vehicle that is fabric(the seats are all leather), which means if we want to take the dogs out hiking, or swimming, or what-have-you, and they get muddy, wet, or dirty, it will get into that fabric in the back and smell up our vehicle like dog. Not exactly ideal, lol.

I'm thinking about getting one of those rubber mat liners for the back of the SUV. Any thoughts on this or ideas on specific brands that are good? We live in Canada for anyone wondering. And any suggestions on barriers too?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 9:12am PST 
My first thought was keep the vehicle clean...with young children and dogs???...our poor cars haven't been clean for twenty years...but seriously...

The plastic pads are a good idea, maybe a container of wipes in the car for dirty paws, sticky hands. There is a product called OdoBan. They have sprays and solid deodorizers plus the spray is antibacterial. Just make sure you let everything dry and air out good after you use it. The fragrance stays quite awhile but when it's wet it makes the dogs sneeze.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 12:15pm PST 
Your back area would be larger than my Journeys but we use a large truck back seat cover designed for dogs and cover the back/cargo area with it. I believe we got it from ebay. The cover is kind of canvas feeling material.

We have the back seat of the truck covered with a Soggy Dog cover (soggydog.ca) and love it! Even when the dogs are wet from a trip to the lake! I am sure they have the covers for the cargo areas as well. We got them from the pet store in Langdon.
[notify]

Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 1:03pm PST 
We usually use an old trashed comforter or a tarp and cover the floors the dog will be on. It works perfectly for Clyde, but he is really good about staying still in the back of my SUV. I have seen a canvas floor cover specially designed for dogs inside cars/SUVs. It looks a bit like a tarp. I believe I last saw one for sale at Bed Bath and Beyond but that was months ago. It hooks onto the seat and tailgate area so a dog can go bonkers back there and not slide it around like a tarp.
[notify]