GO!

Preparing to move >1500 miles across country need advice and options

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 10:44am PST 
hello!

So i got into my dream school of choice all the way in Iowa. I currently reside in Southern California. I would like to know what options i have to move Jake and Caroline across country.

I'm trying to avoid a flight if that is possible since Sweetie is of an advanced age 10 and I don't want to subject her to a Tarmat.

We will be moving in January which doesn't help any.

So any suggestions for people who have moved cross country or traveled cross country with pups would be great.

Thank you!

PS: we're not moving till january as i was just admitted. But I have to plan this all out in advance.

Thanks again!
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:28pm PST 
I haven't personally done this but my mom did, from one coast of Canada to the other with her young dog( not exactly a puppy but not quite a mature dog either). She and her sister drove . They took 7 days and slept at dog friendly motels. If you don't want to drive or fly, there are pet transportation companies but they are quite pricey, I believethinking

ETA congratulations of your acceptanceway to go

Edited by author Mon Apr 22, '13 6:28pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:34pm PST 
You can use www.peoplewithpets.com for dog friendly hotels.
[notify]

Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 6:27am PST 
You could probably do this in 3 days around 8-10 hours of driving each day.
Not going to be a fun drive but it's doable if both of the pups are okay in in a vehicle.

Plan your route ahead of time. Search for dog friendly parks on your way. Mark down all the dog friendly hotels/campsites on your route (call ahead to ensure they have a room available)

Get up early, take the dogs for a run, then load 'em up. Pack some treats, long lasting bones etc.

When we take road trips we stop every 2 hours (if I'm with my mother LOL) or 3-4 hours if it's just me and the dogs.
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 8:48am PST 
First of all, congrats! hamster dance

The only thing I have to add is you should look ahead at the weather forecasts for the areas you will be traveling through once the time gets closer. Going that far and in January, you could hit a variety of storms and such. If you're not familiar with driving in snowy or wintery weather, that could be very dangerous if you ran into a heavy snowstorm. I don't know what the weather is like in any of those areas since I've mostly traveled up and down the east coast, but I figure it'd be worth checking out to be safe.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 2:42am PST 
I think Rigby's idea sounds good. Make a holiday of it with a bit of travelling each day. As you are planning so far in advance it should be easy to do this. You can even look up and book all the dog friendly places you want to stay in advance to hopefully get cheaper rates. Get out a map and work out a route that has lots of natural areas which are good for dog walking and take your time. Then the dog can have just as much fun as you exploring new places on route to a new home! Make sure you take lots of water for the dog in the car as well. Have a great trip and congratulations on your acceptance! smile
[notify]