GO!

Want to get a pick up

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:58pm PST 
I'm looking to buy a new car/truck and I'm not sure if getting what I want to get will be practical.

Currently I have a 1998 4Runner that I love but since getting Mikey and now Moose who's even messier, my perfectly clean interior is no longer. I try to keep up on cleaning it but now with Moose's slobber and the sand and dirt he brings with him from the beach (when we went) and trails, my 4Runner has become a dump and I'm sick of it.
I'm just not a fan of cleaning (vacuuming, wiping down interior trim and cleaning windows) every single week. It's a pain. (I currently don't have him crated in the back. That is something I plan on getting him used to in the coming months. Even if I get a truck, he'll be crated).

So, I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma pickup with a shell on it. Now, let me be clear--Moose does not travel in my car if it's hot out. I just don't risk it and luckily the weather here in the S.F. bay area is pretty moderate. His car travel time is mostly limited to late fall through early spring when the weather is cool.
Of course, if I get a pick-up he'll need something back there to keep him cool if it's warm when I take him up to the trails so I've already got an idea on how to deal with that.
A portable, 12v battery operated air conditioning unit with a fan. It's the size of a Coleman cooler. Which should be arriving on my porch any minute now. Apparently it really can cool a small area the size of a truck bed.
Again, this is not meant as a device to keep Moose cool in a parked truck in the sun. It's to be used when I'm taking him on short runs to the trails (about a 7 minute drive) on days that are not hot. Like I said before, Moose does not get in my current air conditioned car on hot days. Just isn't safe.

I want the pick-up so I can contain the fur, slobber and dirt to an area I don't have contact with. Also, I'll lose seating when I put the crate in the back of the SUV. At least with an extended cab truck, I can still seat 4 and have room for The Moose's crate.

Anyone have a pick-up that they transport their pups in? And how do you handle heat and any other issues that I'm not thinking of? Is there a SUV out there anyone knows of that can carry a giant crate and still seat passengers?
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 3:03pm PST 
Every time I glance at your topic heading, I HAVE to stop and look at it until I remember...oh yeah, Pickup TRUCK, BOL!!!
I had a pick up for pretty much the same reasons when I had my labs. BUT, in order to do ANYTHING in the back I had to be on my hands and knees and I have terrible knees so finally gave it up for a commercial van. LOVED that van!!!
You can leave the large bench seat in, and still have room for enough crates for four adult male labs behind it, so it certainly should hold a large enough crate for a Saint. I bought a truck bed floor liner and used that to protect the flooring, but commercial vans do not have all that carpet and rugs. I would just pull the bed liner out and hose it off. Worked great!!
Mine was a Dodge Ram, but is no longer made, however Ford DOES still make them. as well as GMC, I think. A six cylinder had plenty of oomph to haul 6 or 8 adult labs up the hills and mountains of New England, yet still was extremely economical to run.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 8:30pm PST 
laugh out loudOops. Forgot the word "truck".

The idea of a van is great, but I need something with 4 wheel drive. I do plan on making trips up to the mountains/snow this next winter and after having my current 4Runner perform gorgeously in the snow, I'm stuck on wanting that.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 9:35pm PST 
If you search, those vans come in 4 wheel drive. Lots of the colleges around here have them.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 6:39am PST 
No experience on trucks, but I've basically water and dirt-proofed the back of my kia sportage. Cleaning usually just has me lift off the protective cover (I'm using a soggy dog cover) and either shake it out or toss it in the wash. I keep the seats folded so they stay clean.

I really haven't had much issues with it. If you really like your current vehicle, maybe looking into something like that. They sell dividers that go between the front and back seats to help keep them more separate. I've also seen products that will fit between the gap between the front seats and the back seats to help keep the feet area clean too.

shrug Works for me!
[notify]