GO!

pug acts crazy in the car

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:26am PST 
Well, my dogs are going to be 5 and 6 this year and I have yet to take them on vacation with me. This is mainly because my pug acts psychotic in the car. She's been riding in the car since she was a baby, but still get SO excited that she runs around and whines the majority of the time. I do believe her longest car ride was 45 minutes. We are wanting to take them to the beach with us. It will be about a 4 hour drive. Are there any tips to calm her down or do you think she'll wear herself out by hour 1? Usually on our way home from places she's calmer because she's already worn herself out on the way there. It just wrecks my nerves to have her panting, whining, and running around. We have a harness for the seatbelt, but she always wiggles out of it.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 5:01pm PST 
OMD! My dog acts *exactly * like that in the car! His DNA test said he was almost 50 percent Pug but it's hard to believe by looking at him. Now I am wondering againwink I always figured it was anxiety, not excitment. I did a 4 hour trip with him once and it was h**l . He did not calm down at all , I am sorry to say. If I ever have to bring him far again, he will be getting a gravol to make him drowsy. I have worked with him a tiny bit , going for short distances and stuffing his face with treats. If you have time before you leave on your trip, I suggest you do the samesmile
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:31pm PST 
Bullysticks, bones, chews, 2 hour walk before the trip..
We used this to keep Nare down and out for an 8 hour road trip.
On the way back we had to fold the seats down and he spread out and didn't open his eyes once (okay, he did perk up when we stopped for road food at mcdonalds, but after some mcnuggets he was out again)

Tired dog is happy dog
[notify]

Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 9:51pm PST 
Crating your dog while traveling is beneficial for several reasons. Safety first ... In case of an accident...dogs can be ejected from the car...frightened, disoriented, injured, dogs will run from everyone...sometimes even their own person...into traffic...neighborhoods, and get lost...or worse.

Second, crating while traveling can make the dog feel safe (in their own den) and can settle nerves (both yours and theirs) much easier than having them loose in the car.

I make sure the door is positioned so my dog can see me and I can reach them. Soothing soft music....a chewie...treats....reassurance...way to go Good luck hug
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:59am PST 
I have a small car and we also need a weeks worth of stuff for us humans. There is no way I can have the crates up in the car frown I wish I could though. I guess I'll just have to get her tired because mine don't chew on raw hides or anything.
[notify]
Harvey

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 8:13am PST 
I've taken my guy on a couple 6 hour trips now and the beginning of the drive was always the worst. I have to keep him in his crate on the seat next to me with the pillow from my bed (i guess it smells like me), his favorite squeaky toy, and a giant braided bully stick. And we can't leave until he has pooped or he WILL howl continuously until we stop. Once he figures out we're not just going to PetSmart, he settles down and sleeps pretty deeply.
[notify]
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:07am PST 
I think we are going to walk her for about an hour before we leave. Make sure she has her pillow pet and blanket with her in the back seat with her brother. We will also stop at least once in the middle of the drive to let her walk around. I'm thinking once she settles in she will quiet down. I've noticed if we drive on the highway and keep going fast she's calmer than if we are driving around town!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:57am PST 
Getting your dog tired before the 4-hour car ride is a great idea. Make sure that you provide him with both physical and mental stimulation. During the car ride, give him his favorite toy or a food-stuffed toy to keep him focused and challenged.

It would have been great if you could crate him, but since you don't have much space, then how about someone to hold him and keep him safe and calm?
[notify]
Angus

Don't mess with- me!

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 8:16pm PST 
A friend of mine has made a new dog restraint for dogs for in the car. He actually used Angus as one of his guinea pigs because he is so crazy in the car.dog I left him home all the time rather than deal with him. Not after I got this restraint. What a difference.

Angus is the first video. The Gofer
[notify]