GO!

Need dog friendly hotels/motels across Canada

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 5:49am PST 
Safe Travels back to Nova Scotia ! welcome I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions other than stopping at visitor info. centers and getting a guide similiar to the N.S. Doers & Dreamers and you can check for pet friendly motels and rates as you go province to province . here in N.S. it is $10 extra for a dog . not sure if they double it for 2 shrug anywoof ... good luck and welcome back wave
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 7:45am PST 
Thanks you guys. And Eve beautiful pic.
As most of you can tell I don't travel with the dogs. So I have another question. I drive a Dodge Caliber. I can only fit Shadows small crate in it and the dogs will be a bit cramped with clothes, food, etc. My plan is to drive 4 hours, stop for 2 to let the dogs eat stretch and drink, then drive for 4-5 hours and stop for the night. We have a 3-4 day stop in Ottawa planned to let them rest before continuing. Will that be ok or am I being unrealistic about what they can take? In her small crate Shadow can stand but not fully raise her head, she can lay down but not stretch out and when she sits she can't fully raise her head. I know it's small but the large crate doesn't fit in my car. Normally I use it for vet appointments and stuff. Sabi will be loose but again the car will be full. Vet records, leashes, blankets, clothes,first aid kits, food and water. Anything else I might need?
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:35am PST 
If your dogs aren't used to traveling long distances ... you may want to ask your vet for some motion sickness pills. Dogs puking or with the runs in a confined space is not fun for anyone.
[notify]

Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 2:25pm PST 
Don't suppose there'd be room in there for me + 2 eh? laugh out loud
I've been craving to go back East for a while, probably make the trip in the summer...but for now I'm just dreaming.

If Shadow uses that crate regularly, then I don't think there would be much of an issue for the 4-5 hours in it. I'm sure they'd let you know if they were uncomfortable or restless before then smile
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 3:03pm PST 
Sonja- no issues with the 2+ hours to go hiking, but that is a great point and I will be sure to get something from the vet before we leave. I am also taking bottled water to avoid potential tummy trouble with that.
Cobain-I still need someone to drive the 1 ton moving truck wink
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 3:22pm PST 
I'll work on getting my license! wink
Although you'll need someone to make it to Ontario... laugh out loud
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 10:08pm PST 
Welcome back to Nova Scotia! We moved here three years ago from Edmonton and it is quite a haul with two large dogs. Willie (our Hobema mix) always got car sick, but the gravol seems to work okay with him. If you have enough room it would be good to bring your jugs of water for the dogs - less chance of the runs. I only had one problem in Quebec where the dogs had to stay in the truck, otherwise quite a few places do take dogs. I found the internet really good as I could scope out if there were grassy/treed areas for the dogs around the motels. When are you moving and what routes are you taking? There were a couple of good places for dogs when we went across Canada - and in January! Are you moving right to Halifax or outside of the city?
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:25am PST 
oops! I see that you are moving in May - so much better. When we drove across in January I found that so many of the places (especially in Ontario) are closed for the season.

In Llyodminster we stayed at the BCM Inn. It was clean and had an area in the back to run the dogs (as long as they haven't built something there now). I can send you couple of pics if that would help.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 9:15am PST 
Seela, thanks for the info. I decided on May because I am not driving across the prairies in the winter ever again and I was concerned about summer heat.
I will be taking water, I actually give the dogs bottled water anyway, but will be leaving space in the car for water for all of us. When I leave Ottawa, I will be crossing into Gatineau and heading through that way. If I have any trouble in Quebec we will push through to NB and stop there.
I'm actually moving to Dartmouth or just outside it and I can't wait.
Might have to stop to visit a few Dogsters on my way across the country.laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2