GO!

Taking a puppy on a plane

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Dexter

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 7:10am PST 
In a few weeks I may have to take a trip and was considering taking my 6 month old puppy with me. Has anyone ever taken a puppy on an airplane? What's involved? Is it traumatic for them? And does anyone have any tips to make it go smoothly?
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:41pm PST 
There are a couple of differences in how to prep for a dog going as checked baggage/cargo vs in cabin as carry-on.

Checked baggage/cargo: you'll need a health certificate issued no more than 7-10 days from date of travel (number of days depends on both the state it was issued in and the state going to). The dog should be acclimated to the crate and to it moving around. You'll want to reinforce the crate with zip ties on the corners and bring them for the door.

The last time I sent a dog as checked baggage, we were taken to a room where I was asked to remove her from the crate, someone checked it visually (they can also swab it). They then asked to see the dog's belly (to confirm no recent surgery - the fear is someone packing a dog with explosives). She was then returned to the crate and I used 4 zip ties on the door (all four corners). The zip ties act as reinforcement in case the crate gets dropped or knocked around and the "locked" door could keep a well meaning worker from accidentally loosing your dog.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 2:36pm PST 
It helps if you carefully read each airlines' as well as IATA's guidelines are regarding kennels!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:12pm PST 
I haven't taken my puppy to travel with me on a plane yet, but I read that you should at least get your pup used to the idea of spending time inside a crate as he will have to stay there for the whole flight. That is if you don't book a flight for your puppy on that airline that allows pets to sit beside their owners.
[notify]