GO!

Bringing Puppy Home

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Lillian CGC- THD

Cindahope- Honorable Match- Lillian CGC

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 4:09pm PST 
Bringing our 17 week old Shetland Sheepdog puppy home this Saturday (01/06).

The breeder told me the safest way for her to travel would be in a dog crate.

I drive a sedan so I plan to remove my Daughters' car seats so that hopefully the crate will fit into the backseat.

I know some dogs get car sick while others fall asleep in the car or enjoy it. Curious to find out which one "Lilly" is.

We live in the town next door so it is only a 10-15 minute drive.

I was thinking about what helps me (I get motion sickness quite easily myself) and a cracked window with the fresh air rushing in and having forward facing visibility helps. Well the visibility option is out as she'll be in a crate but maybe I could crack a window (but I don't want the wind noise or anything to freak her out).

If anyone has tips, tricks, or helpful ideas I hope to hear from you. Thank you so much.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:20pm PST 
Well, congratulations on bringing home a new puppy. Yes, it is safest to bring a pup home with a crate, and yes, there is that issue between dogs and cars. I think it would be great if you could also have someone with you when you bring him home so you can check him from time to time.

If you need to, maybe you could also make a few stops to ease your pup's stress (if he does get stressed). Of course, when you're about to drive home, don't feed the puppy so he won't be vomiting.
[notify]