GO!

Multiple Dogs & your car..

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 1:17am PST 
Hi all.
So at the moment my family has 3 cars.. a F250 super cab, a Subaru Outback and a '97 Chevy Monte Carlo.

They're all big and spacious, can comfortably fit 2 large dogs (3 in the truck).
But in the future I'd like to have 3 - 4 dogs..
And I can't think of a car I would deem large enough!
I could fold down the seats of the Subaru and that would give plenty of space.. Could throw a canopy on the truck and put carpet and stuff back there.. But I'd rather them be close and like being able to see fluffy faces in my rearview mirror.

SO. Dogsters. What do you drive? smile Got any dream cars for the dogs?
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 4:28am PST 
Currently, I drive a 4door Cavalier with the back seat folded down.
Admittedly, it's not my first choice nor is it anywhere near ideal for dogs...but we make it work.

Many friends of mine drive large SUVs or vans with stow-n-go seating that are never up. Some of them have 8 or 9 med-large dogs that comfortably fit in their in their crates.

My mother has a cap on the back of her pick-up truck and carts around 8 dogs back there. I'm not much of a fan of that as the tailgate broke once and fell down whilst she was driving. Plus I too like the idea of being able to see them in the mirror.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 10:56am PST 
I have put 8 dogs in my Outback before. I wouldn't give that car up for anything.

In part, this depends on what size dogs you want and how you want them to ride. I know people who routinely put more than 8 dogs in an Outback, but they are all unrestrained. However, you could easily fit 3 large crates (one in the back seat, 2 with the specially angled front in the cargo area) or 4 medium crates (2 on the back seat, 2 in cargo; or same arrangement with back seat folded down). You could also easily anchor harnesses for 4 with plenty of space (2 on the back seat, 2 in cargo), more if you have especially tolerant dogs.

There are really endless options, you just have to be creative and take LOTS of measurements before you buy anything!
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 5:47pm PST 
I currently drive a 07 Pontiac G6. I had an 02 Ford Escape that toted around at most 3 dogs and 3 people with my friends and their dogs. It had alot of problems with the hatch not opening and being stuck when i had dogs in the back. I traded it in for my g6 and i like it. Its really not what i wanted but I am not toting around lots of dogs or people anymore, just Kashmir and occasionally her and Zoe together. Its ok, Kashmir likes it better because she can get in (with her arthritis she had trouble jumping in the escape). She does wear a seat belt in the backseat. My next car i plan on having a small SUV again like an outback or forester.

Edited by author Mon Dec 24, '12 5:48pm PST

[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue Dec 25, '12 8:12pm PST 
I was a die hard Subaru fan...then hubby bought me a Honda Element for my birthday last year. We have 5 dogs...and it is the best dog-mobile I've ever had. It is super easy to clean too which is a plus with multiple dogs. way to go It's also super easy to change the back seating area...take out both seats or just one...lay both seats down or just one...flip them both up or just one. Totally awesome!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 7:54am PST 
My poor little Outback Impreza (seems to translate into cheap midget outback!) regularly holds two big ones and two little ones. I put Savvy and Cookie in the backsear and Samoa and Dubs in the front. We haven't taken any long trips, except once I had to take Samoa and Savvy on a 6 hour round trip to D.C. when we adopted Cookie.

My backseat panels are looking none too good and the upholstery is a big frayed. I probably do not need an all wheel drive as it rarely snows, but will likely upgrade to a full sized outback next time.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 5:42pm PST 
HOnda fit or toyota venza might also be a good choice. Honda, toyota and Kia have pet packages on their models that you can ask about. I can't remember which one, but one of them has paw print cloth on their pet package seating. It's super cute. You can even ask for the hard flooring like they put into police cruisers and taxis. That is way better for lots of dogs than carpet in the car.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 5:44pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 10:21am PST 
I drive a 91 Chevy G20, which has the middle seats removed, leaving only the driver, passenger, and the far back seat which can fold out to a bed which we use for camping/road trips. I've only ever had 4 dogs in there at one time (not crated) but it could comfortably fit probably 5 or even 6 medium dogs like BCs. Large, it could comfortably fit 4. Giant breeds like Great Dane? Probably just 2 while still leaving enough room for everyone to stretch out.

I love my van. cloud 9 (although this picture makes it look a bit smaller than it actually is)

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '12 10:26am PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:48pm PST 
Ava and Nix look very comfortable!! way to go
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:40am PST 
I drive a Jetta, which isn't always the easiest when you have a large dog... I could fit a max of 2 large dogs, but only if they both got along very well as they'd have to both be in the backseat. There is not enough room for a crate, and only enough room for a large folded crate when the backseat is folded down. But, it's worth putting up with the above just for the mileage this car gets!

FYI, for Ford anyways, hard flooring (instead of the usual carpet) is something that has to be special ordered as it is very uncommon, even in work trucks, which is something that struck me as really odd.

I've heard great things about Honda Elements.
[notify]