GO!

Moving to Hawaii, can anyone explain the rules for getting a dog over there?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 11:25pm PST 
I've read the official websites and also checked out a few companies that do the work for you, but it seems extremely complicated and overwhelming.

has anyone been through the process?
Is it as bad as it looks?
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:45am PST 
Crash, it's not that hard. When are you moving? The regulations are almost exactly the same as traveling to Japan which we've done a few times now. Have papers all lined up in case we decided to visit Hawai'i one day, too.

The most important thing to make sure now is that your dog is microchipped with ISO microchip. IF you have another frequency, it might be best to buy your own scanner to bring. If the microchip is not readable on arrival it will be a big problem for you.

The rules are listed here: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5%209%2013%2011b.pdf

and in short your dog has to have had at least 2 rabies vaccs, must be up to date, must have been given more than 90 days prior to arrival.

Then you have to get your vet to draw blood, spin it down, and send it to Kansas State University for rabies FAVN testing. From the day K-state receives the sample (probably overnight is best) you have a 180 day waiting period (6 months).

In short, you have to start preparing 6 months in advance. The titer results are valid for 36 months, so if you're moving in that period of time, it would be best to get things done and send over the documentation for review so you can get everything just right.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 10:24am PST 
Guest nailes it . However, if you are traveling/pcs'ing for the military, you will use the DOD lab in Texas. They have a quick turn around time.
[notify]

Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 4:24pm PST 
I don't have any info on your question...however, I can tell you there are two prices for everything...Islander prices and tourist prices.

What Island? and where on that island?
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 10:51am PST 
thank you!

We are looking at the Big Island, and on the Hilo side.
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 1:11pm PST 
way to go I have friends (karate ohana) there...a doctor and a nurse...both teach karate. One of our Hanshi's (teacher of teachers) live's in Kona. Let me know if you want to know more...we are a non-profit organization.
[notify]