GO!

Camping Gear

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 6:56pm PST 
The weather is finally getting nice in Texas, so we're thinking about camping with Theo, but I want to make sure I'm prepared. Anyone been camping/backpacking with their dogs and if so, do you have any advice?

Additionally, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on soft crates that fold down smaller than usual, so they fit on a backpack more easily. I guess I could have him sleep in a tent with me and tether him to myself, but I'd rather him have his own space like he does every night. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks!
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 5:52am PST 
The only crate that I know of that would work with backpacking is a pop-up crate like this one: Clicky linky I have two and my dogs will go into them and sleep fine, but I would not trust it camping if it was not in a tent. Very easy for a dog to rip out of, especially if there is an animal that they want to get after (a problem with two of my dogs). So, they usually just sleep in the tent with me with leashes on so I can grab them if I need to.

When I camp/backpack with my dogs, I bring more water (and food) than I'd normally take (especially if it's car camping) even if there is a water source nearby. Two of my dogs can carry loaded packs easily, so they carry their own food and some water and other supplies. I bring extra collars/leashes/slip leads and rope, flyers with the dog's pictures and blank spaces I can fill in for the area I'm in just in case one gets lost, a first-aid kit geared towards dogs, a couple toys, and something to tie them out with. Maybe a towel or two for if they get wet, a flea comb for potential pest control (they ain't bringing nothing that bites into my tent!), collapsible bowls, and stuff for them to chew on.

That's usually the basics of what I bring along. I can't remember off the top of my head what else I bring with me, I can't find my packing list (seems like the computer ate it up) so I can't give that to you.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Sep 23, '12 11:15pm PST 
Definitely bring a first aid kit (incl. vet wrap and antiseptic soap), and if you are doing any sort of hiking consider bringing dog boots as well (we had to jerry-rig a dog boot out of a sock and some duct tape after a nasty slice to the paw).

Long line in case he needs to be tied out for short periods of time.

A light-weight, comfortable mat for him to lie on.

Make sure he is always wearing a collar with tags (complete with updated info...cell numbers etc), just in case.

Any particular reason why he can't just sleep in the tent with you without being tethered? Will he try to break out?
[notify]

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 1:15pm PST 
Thanks for the great lists! I'll definitely pull that stuff together. The flyers are a great idea. :]

The tie out would probably be great during the day and I suppose there isn't any real reason he couldn't sleep in my tent except he's still young and has only slept out of his crate three times. Once on a car trip overnight and twice when I fell asleep watching a movie and he got a freebee. But in general, I think he likes having his own place. We'll probably only do a single night the first time with him though, so if tying him to myself overnight doesn't work, I'll look at getting a more portable crate then. :]
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 5:30pm PST 
My recomendation is to have him sleep in the tent with you. You don't want an escape, and if the area has bears, you'd like the warning growl (or whine) from him. I bring a stake & a long lead for the times we're not hiking; just be prepared to untangle your dog about 1,000 times a day. :00

Bring: extra collar, leash, portable bowl, poop bags, benadryl, vet wrap, treats, towels, photo for ID purposes, scissors (for burrs, etc), and something to sleep on. I keep a camping bag set up for my dog and just add the extras when we leave.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 6:37pm PST 
usually when I go hiking/camping, I bring:

- extra water,

-first aid kit (bandages, vet wrap, zymox wound cream, tweezers, dilute betadine solution, benadryl, cotton balls, etc) plus my own first aid kit which I use for the dogs as well.

-travel bowls, extra food (I keep a bunch of samples in the car and take couple with me in case we come across lost dog)
-treats
-LED light
-rabies/name tag with current info
- baby wipes (you'd be amazed how often they get into smelly/rotting things)
-bug spray (I bought a huge bottle of herbal horse spray at feed store, it keeps gnats/flies/mosquitos away).
-slip lead (again, I use it in case we see any lost dogs)
- poop bags
- if you let your dog off leash, I also suggest getting a reflective vest, especially since deer hunting season is coming up.

plus essentials for yourself (you can lookup online by googling "hiking essentials")
[notify]
River Dancer

Born to Wiggle

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:17pm PST 
We haven't camped but did do some traveling with River. You got a lot of great suggestions. I would just add to take a copy of his vet records just in case of an unexpected vet trip. I learned the hardway about taking extra leashes. He chewed through the first one on the way home from the breeder. Some familiar toys, blanket,or mat to rest on is helpful away from home. Have fun on your adventure.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:30am PST 
While I absolutely do love the pop-open crates and intend to purchase one...I would NOT recommend it in this case.
Theo is still quite young and likely in his "chewy" stage still. These crates are not for a dog that might scratch or bite at the crate.
They are only a thin material and rip quite easily.

Although, I may be wrong and he may be wonderful in the crate. However tents tend to be enough of an enclosed space that dogs feel the safety of a crate anyways.

Aside from that, I'm not sure there's much else I could add to what everyone else has said. All great suggestions for camping smile
[notify]
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 3:10pm PST 
Theo is quite wonderful in the crate, but I agree that it seems like a much safer option to keep him in my tent. I'll get him a pop up tent when we start going to rally meets. :]

All great suggestions. Thanks so much guys. I probably wouldn't have thought of the spare stuff for stray dogs or the vet papers otherwise.

As far as stakes go, has anyone had better luck with one brand than another? While he is marvelous in his crate and for his age is very good with his off leash recalls, he's not so good about being tethered somewhere while I go away. I've never used a stake and line, and I'd be worried he'd pull it up. Suggestions?
[notify]

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 12:35am PST 
As long as you have all the best gear to keep warm, a winter campout could possibly be just what you need to get out of the house.

Edited by author Sat Nov 10, '12 12:35am PST

[notify]