GO!

Taking your dog on the plane with you

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Aug 16, '12 12:31pm PST 
I'm interested in other airline recommendations when traveling with your pet on board the aircraft. I'm not talking about putting the dog below in baggage. I mean, taking him on board with you, and putting him under the seat in front of you.

I have a large dachshund (around 17 lbs), so we always travel on delta because I know the space in the seat in front will be large enough to fit him. My question for others - What other airlines have you traveled with your pet, and could recommend that have a great amount of under seat room that I could try other than Delta?

I like Delta. So I'm not saying anything negative about that airline. I'm asking so I have other airline options for pricing the next time I fly with my little guy.

Thanks! Your opinions/suggestions are appreciated!
http://www.cafepress.com/littlesmartypantz/8161462
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 2:27pm PST 
The under seat space on most planes used within the US is basically the same unless you are talking about the smaller commuter planes, then it is somewhat smaller. The bigger issue (for you since your dog is larger than the normal carry-on) is each airlines weight requirements.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 3:23pm PST 
A number of years ago there was a Frenchie National Speciality in the midwest. Many flew out with Delta with their dogs as carry on, with no issues at all, however when they went to fly back, all from the same airport, Delta officials weighed every single dog and anything over 15 lbs was refused.
Since the airline would still fly the person, they refused to refund ANY money.
All of these people had to immediately make other plans, not easy, especially if you are traveling on a shoestring, like most dog show exhibitors.
I, like most of the others, had erroniously assumed that if your airline let you on in one airport, you wouldn't have issues at a different airport but with the same airline. Not so!!
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 8:59am PST 
Toto, I can remember back in the summer of '07 when Delta and several other carriers suddenly started weighing all in-cabin dogs AND checking to make sure they could stand up/turn around. Scooter and I were flying at least one round trip a month during that time and lots of people weren't happy.

A couple of years ago someone posted something similar to what you wrote. They had gone on vacation and took their dog. They had drugged it (dog was actually too large for the carrier) and it wouldn't stand up when the ticket agent wanted to make sure it had room to stand/turn around. They had to call their relatives to come get the dog so they could make their flight.

I've never understood the "We'll just stuff it in" mentality. The dog can't be comfortable.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 9:11am PST 
Sadly, Frenchie's CAN'T fly cargo, so their owners are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
I think it WAS in 2007!! These people ended up hiring a private pilot to fly them home and splitting the cost between them.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 6:35pm PST 
When they say that the dog has to be able to stand up, do they mean with head erect, or just that the carrier has to be taller than the height of his back when he stands, so that he can turn around? It seems like any dog over 5 or 10 pounds wouldn't be able to stand with head erect in a carrier that's 10" or 12" tall.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 7:00am PST 
Kodiak, I can only speak to what I've seen and been told; Scooter has only flown 1 round trip where he was in-cabin as a pet (this was when he was still a SDIT). It's my understanding that as long as they can stand and turn around in the closed/zipped carrier and under the weight limit, they are good. Scooter can't stand up straight in his Samsonite bag, but he can easily move around in it when it is zipped. The criteria for checked baggage/cargo is different. They have to be able to stand up without touching the top of the crate which means dogs with large erect ears generally need a crate a size or two larger; that can also push you over the weight/size limits for checked baggage.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 8:41am PST 
Surely it borders on cruel to lock a dog in a tiny carrier it can barely move in and then put it through a plane ride for hours shrug. I had this debate with someone who stuffed their cat into a carrier it was longer than (I'm not entirely sure how she survived this but maybe she every injury) for a 4 hour flight because she felt it was better than cargo. Cargo is fine hundreds of animals fly every year, it's climate controlled and little different than the cabin. Here no dogs except service dogs are allowed to fly in the cabin and guess what the majority do fine but people would rather listen to the scare stories. If they are flying in the cabin they should still be able to move around.

Edited by author Wed Aug 22, '12 8:43am PST

[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 11:21pm PST 
Buster, none of it is great, but when you put a dog in the cargo hold, you can't sedate them because they need to be able to keep themselves upright. It's also not safe for short-nosed dogs, you can't supervise their being loaded and unloaded, and I think being under a plane alone would be terrifying, whereas being in a bag at my feet would just be uncomfortable. During many months of the year, you aren't even allowed to have pets fly cargo because of hot or cold weather.
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Aug 27, '12 11:53am PST 
Another problem with cargo is that I have heard lots of dogs, who while being loaded or unloaded from cargo, who have gotten loose and their owners were not notified until they were waiting to pick up the dog, If my dog got loose I would want to know immediately not an hour or more after the dog was lost. I usually drive when transporting my dog if they are to big to go in the cabin with me...I have used pet airways but I know a person who works on their planes and will only fly my dogs with them when I know she will be there to supervise.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2