GO!

Keeping Cool... Will this work?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Peekaboo

You can't see- me!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 6:20pm PST 
We're going to be traveling cross-country soon (theoretically, anyways), and we are trying to figure out a way to get everyone to fit in the most manageable way possible. The problem is that I cannot drive due to my disability, and it looks like the best option is going to be to tow the car -- but not everyone will fit in the cab of the truck if we do this. I've been trying to come up with a solution, and I think I might've found one. However, I'd like to make sure that there's not something I haven't thought of because I absolutely do not want to endanger my critters.

This and this are portable, battery powered air conditioners. The idea would be to put on of them in the car with the critters (who would either be buckled in or crated, depending on species). According to the description, the cooling power would last about 6 hours, so I'd make a point of stopping before then -- well, we would anyways to give the critters potty breaks.

My biggest concern would be keeping the car cool enough, but the description says it's good for keeping RVs cool so I can't imagine that it wouldn't be okay for a little sedan.

Thoughts?
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 8:30pm PST 
I have a Kooler Aire. I use plastic water bottles filled with water & frozen. I have not been able to make it last a full 6 hours in the heat of the summer though (might be because the unit doesn't fit the cooler exactly & there is a small gap). I usually use it in the back of the car while I'm also using the air in the car. I haven't tried it on it's own before, so not sure if it's enough to keep the car comfortably cool. My dogs love it though! I've been putting it on the floor behind the passenger seat so the cooler isn't sliding around the back & so the cord can reach the outlet. The dogs hang over the end of the folded down seats & stick their heads close to the fan laugh out loud. I think with the first one there would be a problem with moisture in the car, since it has a mister. Might not be a great pick for areas with high humidity.
[notify]