GO!

Have to do a road trip any tips?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Willie

Furever Baby

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 11:15pm PST 
I moved across Canada a few years ago - Alberta to Nova Scotia, with our two dogs. It was a pretty long drive, especially in January. We stopped every few hours - even just for 10 minutes for a stretch. I find it best if you take your own water as even a change of water can give dogs the runs. Only fed the dogs at night when everyone was able to settle down for the evening. We did plan our route by staying in pet friendly motels. Actually our dogs liked the adventure of new smells everywhere. Lots of pees all across Canada, such a large country to mark your territory. Willie used to get car sick (lots of drool) and we gave him a gravol before we left in the morning. Needless to say, he no longer gets motion sickness. Do a lot of checking on the internet and check out pictures of the places you want to stay at to see if there are areas to take your dog out. Best of luck moving.
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:11pm PST 
I made it to my destination and am staying in a hotel till I find a place to live. I am hoping it isn't an extended period. Annie didn't like sleeping in the car much. Sadly it seemed like anytime she fell asleep we hit a bump and it woke her. She slept good at night though. I only really stopped when she started really seeming fussy. She didn't have the normal room in the car that she is used to as I had tons of stuff loaded. I am so glad that she is so mellow I couldn't imagine a trip like that with a hyper high strung dog.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:04pm PST 
My dogs are awesome travelers, they are used to stops and getting out to stretch and pee, then hopping back in for more. I stop whenever I need to and the dogs do just fine. I traveled from Washington State to Michigan twice within the past year...the first time with only two dogs and then the second time with three (one an 8 month old puppy). I usually average 700+ miles a day, but on the return trip my second time I did the drive in 2.5 days...so I did 1000 miles two days in a row. My dogs did fine and we slept in my Explorer that trip. Mine all travel in harnesses in the back seat (although I did allow a co-pilot when it got too warm for the dogs to all be snugged into the back seat together).

As for stopping, know your dogs. Some need more frequent breaks, whereas others can go the distance. I usually only do short stretch/pee stops and make the longer stops for when I need to eat. I offer water every stop...but I don't force the dogs to drink. I will occasionally drop a few treats in the water if it is warm. I also add extra water to meal time (extra water in their Honest Kitchen, but if you feed kibble you can just water it down a little).
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 3:33pm PST 
I have traveled all over the place with dogs, up to six at a time. We usually only do 600 - 700 miles a day, as I am usually the only driver. We only stop for pit stops when we the humans have to go OR eat. The dogs do great on that schedule, although, obviously, if ones gets fussy, I will stop then.
We normally stay in motels and have never had an issue finding a pet friendly one when we decide to get off the road.
When we stop the dogs are walked, fed and watered, then taken out for a longer walk. If I have younger dogs I will bring a folding crate for the motel as I can't relax if I am worried about the dog chewing something or peeing somewhere. I do use pee belts on the boys in the motels just to be safe.
I ALWAYS keep a buckle collar on each dog with my cell phone number on it as well as my vet's phone number. I do walk the dogs on slip collars because I am terrified about one slipping out of a collar while in an interstate rest area...my worst nightmare!!!!
Because I am neurotic, I also travel with a HUGE first aid kit for the dogs. I even get a starter dose of basic antibiotics from my vet, plus drugs for the obvious...diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, and allergies. We also get a starter dose of steroids from the vet just in case and I also have a skin stapler, just in case. Yes, I HAVE had to use most of the stuff, including the stapler, while traveling!!!
One time while traveling from NH to Denver for a dog show we were able to lance an interdigital cyst on one Frenchie, start both antibiotics and steroids, and soak his foot three times a day in epsom salts. By the time we got to the show he was not even limping anymore and was fine. I DID call my vet before starting any of the drugs, however!!
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 7:56am PST 
I always freeze several soft drink bottles full of ice/water, and they go into the cooler with several more regular bottles of cold water for immediate use. I also carry several old bath towels, to use if the dog needs to be cooled quickly. I put the dog on the towels, and put the frozen bottles around the outer perimeter, so the dog is being cooled off all around, and quickly. I also have a pillow so the dog has a bed in the car for long miles. A First Aid Kit, Food, and water bowls, treats, dog food, and snacks and coffee for me. All this equipment goes ito a travel box--and I can reach it immediately. I also carry a couple of wet wash cloths in a plastic bag--in the cooler. I usually stay at Motel 6's all across the country. I also keep a spray bottle, just for dampening the dog, or for washing off any soiled feet, or face of the dog. I also carry a bar of soap, if I need to wash my hands off. Also poop bags, leashes, and an extra collar. (I had one break, and I needed that collar bad.) I have gone 200 miles and all the way across the US, using these things--and believe, me it was trial and error!dog walk
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2