GO!

Best way to deal with travel anxiety and carsickness?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 9:41pm PST 
Jane isn't fond of car rides. She gets very anxious when riding in the car. She also has horrible carsickness if the ride lasts more than about 20 minutes or so. We can't take her many places, because she vomits all over the place. I want her to feel comfortable in the car, but at this point I'm stumped as to how. Help, please?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 9:50am PST 
More car rides, shorter intervals. Practice makes perfect!
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 10:26pm PST 
Okay. Thanks.
[notify]

Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 7:15am PST 
Is she loose in the car? I find I never have an issue if they are in a crate or in a belt. A friend had success with ginger but sorry I do not know in what form or how much.
[notify]
Penny

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 10:46am PST 
Lilith is right, taking her on short frequent car rides helps a lot. My dog Penny comes to work with me, and she used to get car sick all the time, and after awhile I just felt so bad making her ride in the car. But I started taking her on short trips, and took her everywhere with me, and eventually, the car sickness stopped. I love being able to bring her to work me now and not having to worry about cleaning my car seats every day! smile
[notify]
Luna (Lovegood)

Bay All Day

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 8:05am PST 
I have the same issue with Luna. At first she would even pee and poop in the car even if she had a potty break before. I take her on frequent short trips and she vomits rarely now. But she still doesent enjoy it quite as much as Morrison. But she may never really enjoy car rides. I just don't want them to terrify her because I like to take my dogs everywhere I can with me.

Also Rescue Remedy helps alot.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 9:05am PST 
If she gets motion sickness, a couple of ginger snaps about 15 minutes before the ride can help; if it's anxiety that makes her vomit, then I second (third?) Lilith's approach - condition her to traveling in the car.
[notify]
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 10:10am PST 
If it's actual motion sickness, you can try opening the window and letting her front paws stand out it so she looks outside + breeze is blowing. For Kitty, that's the only solution... if we close the window, she immediately starts to do the licking/attempting to lie down which only makes it worse.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 7:30am PST 
We had no air conditioning for a while, so we tried keeping the windows open for all of our sakes. We encouraged Jane to look out the window, but unfortunately the only windows that open all the way are the front, and she won't sit up front. We did get the air conditioning fixed, and she hasn't been sick since.

She's still extremely anxious though. I've been trying to take her out to the park or to Petsmart as often as I can, but we only have one car that my dad takes to work for most of the day. Plus, we're going out of town in a few days, and have been very busy. I will do the best I can with taking short trips with Jane, but it's unlikely that I can do this consistently until we get back on July 3rd.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 11:15am PST 
For longer car trips, I suggest Dramamine. Ask for vet for the right dosage.

Ace would get sick almost no matter how short the trip when I first got her. I used Dramamine for a long 2 day road trip (1100 miles) and she was fine throughout. (Even when I shared little bits of my fast food with her en route since I didn't feed her a big meal in the morning). After we got to our destination, she was totally fine without the Dramamine for shorter trips around town.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2