GO!

Were getting a Champion Seat Belt

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 10:00am PST 
I mean way earlier than 6 months ago.. big grin like about 3-4 years ago when we first brought crash-tested belts.

Edited by author Sat Jun 16, '12 10:00am PST

[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 8:20pm PST 
The Champion seatbelt is strength-rated, I am not sure whether they are crash-tested or not.
These are the type I use for Bianca and used for my previous dogs as well. I've tried a few types but I liked this one the best as far as ease to put on/off, flexibility in how you can attach it in the car and durability.

There have been several other crash-tested or strength-rated dog seatbelt harnesses that have come onto the market very recently as well that also look like they may been good options-- like Kurgo, Bergan, Petbuckle, etc...
I have been trying to find a place that carries the Kurgo car harness locally, because it comes in extra small size and I'm looking for something that my cat Harley can wear... Unfortunately no one seems to carry that size. I'm hoping to try it on first since cats are built differently I want to make sure it fits! Most of my cats ride in carriers, but Harley gets carsick in a carrier and I've found if I put her on the seat in a harness, or especially in my previous dog's old booster seat, she won't get carsick.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 9:24pm PST 
We have the Kurgo harnesses, since a few have mentioned them. I haven't really been overly thrilled with them. They were very pricey for what they are, do not fit very well, and have not held up well either. Also, they are NOT crash rated, so if that's your criteria choose a different one.

The harness itself has a chest plate that is a bit too narrow on my dogs, and tends to slip back and forth across their chest, and the waist straps allow for even more sideways motion so sometimes if we're running with it it can fall totally to one side of the dog, which is very awkward. We use it in the car and also when running, and after about a year of use it looks like it's been through the war. I guess maybe we're rough on harnesses?

Their tether system is really kinda stupid unless you use the carabiner and clip it to an impact rated hook in your car. The tethering strap it comes with you can either hook between two seatbelts (which really does nothing for a rambunctious dog or even slamming on breaks) or onto a handlebar, and neither option is particularly sturdy.

Soooo...can't recommend the Kurgo stuff, or EzyDog either, we had similar issues with them.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 11:08pm PST 
I should probably add, I haven't used the other types I mentioned in my last post myself-- just the Champion. I also had previously tried a Roadie seatbelt I had bought for a previous dog but I found it really hard to put on and off and it did not look very sturdy (although apparently is supposed to actually be very strong, just didn't LOOK like it) so I really did not use it much at all. I have been very happy with the Champion though, used them for years with my previous dogs, which is why I got another one when I got Bianca.

The other types I had used before that, I won't bother naming because I would not recommend them, they used plastic buckles/clips to hold the dog and I wouldn't rely on that to hold up in an actual accident or even a sudden stop...

Edited by author Sat Jun 16, '12 11:10pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 4:16pm PST 
Onyx's Champion arrived today. It initially got mis-shipped, which I'm pretty sure was USPS's fault, so it probably would have been here sooner otherwise. Seems to be good quality, the attachment was easy to install in my car, and it fits him. Assuming he doesn't try to chew it while I'm driving, we should be good!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2