GO!

Anyone use natural calming agents?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Bailey

I am cute. Now- bend to my will!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 8:00am PST 
I went to PetSmart the other day and I was talking to one of the employees about an international flight I'm going to be taking Bailey on. She recommended Pet Ease, a natural calming product that is supposed to help with anxiety during travel, etc. I looked them up and even called the vet to ask about them... the vets office sells a different brand but something to that same effect. I'm wondering what the dogsters think of them.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 10:05am PST 
Our vets office recommended an essential oil...frankincense or lavender. I used them both, but didn't really think it helped. The pups smelled lovely, though.

And then I got some Rescue Remedy. I didn't notice that it helped either. Then I got some DAP collars and I believe they actually made it worse!

I gave the Rescue Remedy to someone with Cats but she said it didn't help her either.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Feb 9, '12 9:03pm PST 
the only "natural" calming agent that worked for jake was a thunder shirt. the DAP worked for about a week the spray worked for a few hours. but that shirt worked wonders. We have petease jake is a 30 lb dog and even after giving him five biscuits still no effect. shrug
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Feb 10, '12 5:55pm PST 
I bought Happy Traveler by Ark Naturals after my dog bit my little dog (play crossed the line). After she got bit, Sarah has been very very scared. Happy Traveler has seemed to really help her, I really think it works. I also have a DAP diffuser and I like that too. I did not have any luck with Rescue Remedy. The other thing I have had good luck with is giving melatonin.
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 10:57am PST 
Rescue Remedy and DAP collars never did squat for the dogs. For Talah the PetNaturals Calming Chews have actually helped keep the edge off during her recovery. I also highly recommend the Ark Naturals calming capsules, those really work.

However, with natural and drug forms of calming aids I've noticed they only really work if the dog is kept in a quiet, calm environment, then they usually just sleep all day. But if you give it to them and put them in a stressful or very distracting environment, it seems to freak them out even worse because it numbs their reaction time.
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 4:36pm PST 
I use ProQuiet. It's tryptophan (found in turkey) and it seems to help my dogs.
It is sold online or at some vet's offices.
[notify]