GO!

Crates in cars

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Yogi "Owen"

Fun, Food, and- the Pursuit of- Squirrels.

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 4:13pm PST 
I am buying my dog a new SUV. Ok, it's for me, really, but fitting a crate in there for him is a big part of it. What I am wondering is if the type of crate matters. I have a fold-down wire crate that I was going to use, but tonight I started thinking maybe those should not be used in cars? Any feedback on the safety of a wire crate? Should it be an airline crate instead?
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 7:24pm PST 
I think an airline crate would be safer. Also - the wire ones tend to collapse sometimes when moving them around - so even just for convenience sake it would be better.
[notify]
Yogi "Owen"

Fun, Food, and- the Pursuit of- Squirrels.

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 9:39am PST 
thanks, Bella.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 1:49pm PST 
i use a harness with a seat belt attachment in my car because i drive a tiny kia rio. But the other owners at the dog park i go to use Airline crates as well. And another owner has the grate you put up behind the back seat that turns the entire back of the car into a 'kennel' kinda, but they have a GSD and a rottie.

Hope that helps.
[notify]