GO!

JoJo's First Plane Ride

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
JoJo

I'm pretty much- a human with- fur!

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 7:07am PST 
We will be flying from the UK to the US and it doesn't look like I'll be able to take JoJo with me in-cabin because it is an international flight. So, I think I'm going to have to check her in with the checked baggage which I dread. I have no experience with this and am very worried about her making the trip. Please send me any suggestions, advice, words of encouragement, etc. to assure me that my angel will be okay and will survive the flight. shrugfrown
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 6:51pm PST 
I've taken dogs in-cabin on International flights.. did you check with the airline directly?

If not,.. she'll be fine either way!
[notify]
JoJo

I'm pretty much- a human with- fur!

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 4:47am PST 
I have checked with many airlines and none seem to allow pets in-cabin on international flights. Which airlines have you flown that have allowed this? Maybe I'll book with them...Thanks!
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:35am PST 
Let's see.... There were several pet dogs on our Delta flight to Seoul in 2008, including one ill-behaved Doxie. Lots of dogs on our United flight from Seoul to San Fran and then from SF to NJ. Out of the two airlines, I recommend Delta over United.

It is NOT against US law for small dogs to fly in cabin to the US. Any checkpoint to check their paperwork (and it's a joke) is after you pick up your baggage (including checked baggage pets) so you can clear immigration and then customs (and the guys as SF need a refresher course on courtesy - and Mom basically gave them one.

#1. Make sure teh slots aren't filled for your travel dates. In- cabin slots are limited by section (first/business/economy) and total number). Adjusting your travel dates may help.
#2 If that doesn't work and your dog has to go as checked baggage, then you will need a hard plastic crate with air ventilation on all sides (including the back). The dog MUST be able to stand up with no body parts touching the roof as well as easily turn around and lay down. You are required to use absorbent bedding in case of an accident. Double check with your airline about food/water bowls and if you will need to attach baggies of food to the crate.
#3 Make sure the animal is well acclimated to being in a crate. The vast majority of animal incident reports by the airlines involve animals that just haven't been acclimated and then try to dig/force their way out, often injuring themselves.
#4 Ziptie the four corners of the crate (or better yet all points where it joins) to reinforce it. I personally ziptie the doors after my dogs (and the crate) have gone through inspection so I can tell if it has been tampered with and to make sure they don't accidentally pop the doors open. I did this with Bretta on both of her flights (she flew from Baltimore to Seoul via Atlanta and then Seoul to Jacksonville via Atlanta with the last leg of the last trip being as cargo since a friend brought her back.

I've also flown quite a few dogs as international cargo with no problems. The general rule is to make sure the dog is healthy enough for the stresses of the trip and acclimated to the crate.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 9:17am PST 
I think US TO UK flights don't allow in cabin pets per the DEFRA rabies scheme, but coming TO the USA should be just fine..
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 5:44pm PST 
Only service dogs are allowed to fly in the cabin on UK flights.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 7:33pm PST 
Otto, is that both to and from? i want to go to the UK someday... so...
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:17pm PST 
It depends on where you leave from. I usually leave from Vancouver, Canada. In that case, your dog has to be from a school recognized by the UK government.

Last year (and this June), I'm leaving from Seattle. Even though it's the States, I've still been asked what school trained Otto when I booked our tickets. His school is on the approved list. I don't know if there would have been problems if it weren't.shrug

So, my personal experience is that even flying to the UK from the US, your dog has to be recognized. Others may have different experiences.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:33pm PST 
but you mean leaving from points outside of UK right? what if you're flying OUT of the UK?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 8:50pm PST 
Lilith,

I've only flown British Airways so I don't know about, say, a US airline flying out of the UK.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2