GO!

Most dog friendly places in America and Canada.

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Feb 8, '12 2:20pm PST 
Sanka, don't know who the Montana "expert" was. Chance is only on leash in "civilization".

There are many, many dangers to letting a dog off leash in the "wilds" of Montana but with the exception of national parks and some state parks/wildlife area, most areas are off leash friendly. Some times of year are leashes required and some parks/park areas don't allow dogs at all to preserve historical structures, for sanitary reasons and in sensitive wildlife areas.
They all have basic rules though.

If your dog may chase wildlife or has chased wildlife, off leash is not a good idea.
Every year tourists lose dogs in the wilderness areas, BLM lands and state forests. The dogs see a wild animal, give chase and get lost in the hundreds of thousands of acres of backcountry land, most of which has no trails.
The dogs either succumb to the elements (year-round snow at the highest elevations are common), fall off cliffs, get swept away in snow-melt full rivers, get killed by the wildlife they were chasing (there were at least 2 dogs killed by deer last spring), get killed by a predator (wolf, cougar, black bear, grizzly bear, etc.) or wander onto a section of private land and get shot by the landowner or killed by ranch dogs.
Depending on the area there are old hidden mine shafts that animals fall into.
They sometimes end up where there are livestock on grazing rights land and get killed by cattle (most open range herds include a bull) or if there are sheep get killed by livestock guardian dogs or sometime armed human shepherds.
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 2:24pm PST 
We have a winter home in Fort Myers Florida 5 miles from the beach. Just outside our complex, Lexington Country Club, which is obviously pet friendly, is a brand new dog park with 2 large fenced areas. At the beach in Fort Myers, dogs are permitted at any time on a leash and there is actually an off-leash dog beach!!
And, if you are in Northern Ontario, you are always welcome at our waterfront, pet friendly cottage resort, Sunny Point Resort. Our web site is www.sunnypointresort.com. Our cottages are all very nice but it isn't the quality of cottage that really brings us guests... it's the opportunity to rent a cottage and swim right off the dog with your pooch.
[notify]
Cara

The Peanut

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 12:03am PST 
Another thing to keep in mind is that many Military Parks and National Battlefields permit leashed dogs to accompany their owners, and quite a few of these parks include long trails. Great if you love hiking, history and your dog.

Here's a link to a couple of examples: http://www.hikewithyourdog.com/page115/page141/page141.html
[notify]

Tetsuya

I'm a snuggly- boy!

Barked: Sun May 20, '12 12:57pm PST 
I'd recommend Acadia National Park. It is a beautiful park and dog friendly! If you go there be sure to also check out the store Bark Harbor in Bar Harbor, ME.
[notify]
Trixie

Forever in my- heart

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 1:59pm PST 
Try www.bringfido.com and then you can narrow it down to cities!
[notify]
Duke

THE GREAT WHITE- HYPE!

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 8:49am PST 
NH and VT. My mom lives in NH so we visit every summer. The bank my mom goes to is very dog friendly. They allow dogs in the bank (not just SDs either). They even have dog treats on hand. We took Duke inside once except he "watered" the potted plant. red face The tellers just thought it was funny thank goodness.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 36)  
1  2  3  4