GO!

Rules and laying down the law with a pet sitter?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 8:40pm PST 
So I think this goes here. While I'm hardly truly "traveling", I've had my puppy one week today, and tomorrow I'm having an outpatient medical procedure done and will likely be gone far too long to leave him here crated by himself, of course, and then no telling if I'll be well enough to care for him after I get home tomorrow, so I'm leaving him with my grandparents. And you think it would be as simple as that, but in our family, we've only ever had big dogs, and it's a whole different thing. Not only is Jasper small (really small currently), but being a pug he has some special needs because of that fact of course, and I'm having trouble getting my family to understand that. So this early on, it just all makes for a combination of different things that makes it seems like it could be a disaster... it makes me a nervous wreck, but I don't have many options right now. >.<

I'm writing out a list of rules now, so I guess I just want to know, I suppose, how have you listed out instructions for someone when they look after your dog? Is there a certain way you go about telling someone to do certain things that helps them understand and follow instructions? And what all do I need to tell them, and take for him tomorrow, just so I don't forget anything?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 4:04am PST 
Any chance you could get someone or hire a sitter to come to your house? I doubt your family will listen to written rules any better then they are listening to you talk. Good luck with the procedure.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:33am PST 
Yep. I'd get a professional if my family isn't capable of participating in caring for my dog.
[notify]

Taffy

Lovin' Life!

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 6:09pm PST 
I had my sister pet-sit for a weekend when my husband & I went to a wedding, but I wrote out a 2 page list of Taffy's needs, wants, potty schedule, food, where she sleeps...it was a bit obsessive, now that I look back on it laugh out loud
As long as your family won't let your cutie out in the yard without someone watching, and they will love it, I think you'll be okay. If your pup is on meds or has special needs, maybe a professional sitter would be a better bet. Otherwise, I'm willing to bet your pup will be just fine blue dog
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 6:28pm PST 
My mother typically keeps the pets, and I will leave her with a detailed print out of our current schedule. I'll start with wake up time and end with bedtime. I'll list the food and walking schedules we typically do, commands they know, routes we take, etc. I've left my mom up to 5 printed pages before with notes. Now that everyone is older though, and my mom knows the routine I really only leave a one sheet reminder on the fridge and all the emergency numbers.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 5:21am PST 
I have a pug, so I can understand some of their special needs. If I had to leave Daisy Mae with someone, I would make sure they understand that she can not be walked using her collar, that is must be her harness and about being out in hot temperatures. I would make sure people understand this is not because the dog is spoiled, but it is about her safety. Emphasize the "safety" aspect. My parents or brother would be the ones that would ever watch Daisy Mae for me. My parent would not give her people food because they know I don't give it to her. My brother would "drop" food for her, I am sure of it, but she has no food issues so it would just be annoying more than anything.

If the issues you are worried about are safety or health related, emphasize and stress how important the instructions are. Tell them you are nervous about abandoning your baby while you recover. Be a little dramatic and silly about it. Sometimes, that makes people more willing to follow instructions. If they are behavior issues, then stress what you can and hope for the best. If this was a 2-legged kid, your grandparents would probably spoil her too and you would have to work at getting her back to her normal routine when she returned to you. It is annoying but you know it was done out of love.

Good luck with your surgery, recovery and pug puppy.big hug
[notify]