GO!

Traveling Fun?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 10:40pm PST 
I didn't know where to put this, but since it involves travel (possibly) and dog friendly places I thought here was fine.

I ended up touching the topic of "What do you do with your dog outside of your home?/What public places that are dog friendly in your area?" It really made me curious about other people.

So, I really want to hear: "What do you do with your dog outside of your home? "What public places are dog friendly that you visit? And anything else relating to that!"

I don't have my own dog yet but I am excited at the things we might be able to do outside of the 'regular' home schedule. I am in an area where I don't know whats 'dog friendly' and what's not. shrug The only thing I can think of is maybe pet store, the dog park of course, and walking trails/privately owned areas(by the owner of course).

Please let me know what kind of public area activities you do with your dog!big grin
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 1:35pm PST 
In short, I live in a very dog UNfriendly area. The only places I can bring my dogs are PetCo/Petsmart and the state park. The State Park is very limited though given the time of the year. And I can't really take Sanka to Petco/Petsmart because he has issues with his bowels and...well...I don't want to have to clean that up in a store.

Thankfully, I know many farmers who are just fine with me taking my dogs for hikes out in their fields. So, really, that's where I go the most....out on private land. (oh, and really, if you ask farmers, most won't care. Tell them you'll pick up a few rocks each time you go out there as payment lol!)

Sometimes I will go to a VERY small dog park about 30 minutes away. But whether or not someone will be there with their dog is a crap shoot.shrug 30 minutes drive to sit in a small area by yourself...eh.

If you're looking for places that you might not think as dog friendly, you could consider schools. Many schools around here have big open plots of grass that people often take their dogs to when school is out. I've done it a few times. I've also taken the dogs to some tennis courts and let them off leash in there as they were fully fenced. But these places got old fast, so I don't do them anymore.

Sorry to be such a Debbie downer.laugh out loud I live near Chicago, so in reality, I could find lots of places to go to with my dogs...it would just take the whole day to do it. Not much of a "regular" thing.

Edited by author Mon Aug 8, '11 1:37pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 1:50pm PST 
I have a small dog and as such I think people let me take her places that they wouldn't be as happy about a large dog being.

She regularly goes:
1. Work at the office with me
2. The library (I almost can't get service without her now)
3. The post office
4. Hardware Store
5. Running in a mostly fenced school yard (when there's no kids there)
6. The Gas Station

She has gone;
1. Nursing home to visit
2. The bank
3. The chiroprator's office
4. The fabric store
5. Pet stores in the city
6. Walked a parade (took forever because she had to see everyone)
7. A couple Pets in the Parks/Pet Expo events

Basically....not a lot of places she doesn't go. I've been getting heck from my chiroprator for not bringing Jewel in enough and I've had people I don't even know roll down their car windows to ask me where my dog is if I'm ever out walking without her.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 3:32pm PST 
Tanuk goes a lot of places with us too, considering he's not exactly a purse dog. Glacier is more self-contained and gets a bit nervous out in the world, so sometimes he goes, sometimes not.

Here's a sampling:

Big chain pet stores
Pet boutiques
The bank
The beach
The river
Any and every park
Plantations with trails and open areas
Friends and families homes
Vacations - he stays in dog friendly hotels
Walk around downtown
Playgrounds
Lakes and boating
The pharmacy drive-thru
Drive-in movies big grin

All I can think of right now.

ETA: Parades and Festivals.

Edited by author Mon Aug 8, '11 3:37pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 3:44pm PST 
Thanks for all they info! I might just live in the middle of no where so it's less dog friendly confused

How do you know if it is dog friendly or not? If it doesn't have a sign do you take a risk? Do you ask first? I'm not really sure how most of this goes (asking as in none open areas, but like buildings etc)shrug

I think I am really new to the idea of bringing the dog "everywhere". I saw a lot of posts about having a dog at a building and I was like: "wow! You can bring a dog there?". laugh out loud
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 7:59pm PST 
Guest, I live out in the middle of nowhere too.

Personally, for outdoor areas, I just take my dogs even if I'm unsure as to whether or not they allow dogs. If people say something, complain, or give me a fine, I'm ok with that, and I'll just move on. I have yet to have that happen though.

For indoors, I just don't do it. Most stores here have signs in the windows saying "No pets allowed, service animals welcome." So, that'll let you know if you want to look.

As for the bank, do you guys actually go into the bank? I went through the drive thru with my dogs, and the lady gave them 2 milk bones.big grin

I wouldn't bring my dogs in though. Since the bank got robbed, they've become really really "uptight" about people coming in and going. You walk in and there's like 15 cameras pointed at you, you have to walk through double doors with like huge bolts and locks on them. Feels like you're in some disinfecting chamber or something...just gives you an uneasy feeling.

The only restaurant that has outside seating here is a Mexican Restaurant...but you have to walk through the restaurant to get to the outdoor seating so..shrug

I have found out about a lot of "secret" spots to go hiking from other dog owners here though. Neighbors that I just have a brief chat with as I pass by. So, when you get a dog, you may get tips from other dog owners in your area.
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:08pm PST 
Dogs can hike off leash out in the county here...not in city limits. We have no dog parks...but a group trying to get one up and running.

Lots of runners complain about dog poop on hiking trails...but say nothing about horse or cow poop on the trails. Weird. We have secret hiking trails too so we don't run into anyone on our walk. way to go
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:24pm PST 
Sanka - yes right up to the teller. My town doesn't have bank drive-trus. shrug
[notify]
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:50pm PST 
We go to:
the pet store - we live in a area that has tons of different pet stores aside from your regular Petco/Petsmart.
the beach (dog beach and regular beach)
the outdoor mall (Fashion Island - lots of people bring their dogs here!)
Lowe's (yes, the home improvement store)
the park (dog park and regular park)
Pet events (e.g. huge adoption events like Irvine's Super Pet Adoption)

There's an area by the shore called "2nd street" where we go and stroll around. Kind of like an outdoor mall with shops and restaurants. During the summer they have an event called "Stroll and Savor" (google it) which we love!

I generally don't bring her to places that I think will turn her away. Sometimes I will call ahead of time and ask. One time I went to a place to get a smoothie and owner said I could bring her in since she's small. It just depends.

Edited by author Mon Aug 8, '11 9:55pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 10:29pm PST 
Thank you for all the responses big grin I really think it's because I am new to this and never really been in any "big cities". I will hope to find out from other dog owners which places are friendly. By outdoor mall do you mean like a strip mall(As in a bunch of stores next to each other on a street)? or like an outdoor market type place? thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3