GO!

Are you allowed to fly larger dogs?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bosco

RAWR

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 6:44pm PST 
I constantly hear about people bringing their tiny toy dogs along on airplanes whether checked or in carrier but what about lets say a medium sized pup? can they be on check or do they have to fly cargo, I know cargo has weight limits, lets say the dog is 50 lbs. I am moving to Merida, Mexico and would like to bring my dog along in December. I think a trip there is about 2 and half to 3 hours
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 6:58pm PST 
No, you can definitely fly larger dogs, and I don't believe there is a size or weight limit when they're in cargo. You have to have an airline-approved crate, and book them in advance (can't just show up with a crated dog to check in when you get your boarding pass.) It's not cheap, of course.

Hopefully someone who's done it themselves will chime in here. (I haven't... looked into it when I got Bruno in AZ and needed to get him to OR, but it was too expensive.)
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 9:50pm PST 
depends on the airline and the ticket..... I'd go with american airlines its 175.00 to check the pet as checked baggage one way the only thing is they will recomend that if you are bringing you pet and flying them that you arrive early b/c they will not reserve a spot for you dog but will mark your ticket as having a dog so the airline will have some warning. Also I'd avoid flying if you must be there before sept as there is a ban on most airline to not allow pets a check baggages from june to sept 1st b/c of heat. Just do your research and you will be fine.
[notify]

Bosco

RAWR

Barked: Wed Aug 3, '11 7:47pm PST 
I'm not planning on leaving until Dcemeber. Also I'm not exactly sure what breed/mixes he exactly is because he's a shelter dog. I don't know how big a deal they will make of him because a lot of people think he's a American Pit bull terrier(people that know nothing of dog breeds) He probably has some Staffordshire bull terrier, maybe some shar-pei. I know they have a lot of unfair breed bans at airports now and days. I've never flown a pet before thinking
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Aug 4, '11 8:06am PST 
I would say he's a mutt, don't mention any type of bull terrier in his mix.
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Thu Aug 4, '11 11:48am PST 
If you have to put breed, I would just go with 'lab mix'
[notify]

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 10:19am PST 
as long as the dog is not a subbed nose breed ( like a bull dog) you should be fine just say he is a mix. Also you will need to buy a travel crate as the folding ones are deadly when in the plane...... when buying this crate it MUST have screws, otherwise you are going to be out X amount of money. Also the airline will insist that you put a food and water dish and extra food and water in a bag that can attach to the crate....... you can buy the attachable dishes for like 3.00 with a puppy pad to boot at petsmart.

Oh before I forget make sure that your pups heath certificate is 10 days BEFORE the flight and that you have all his papers in reach at the airport.

good luck on your trip I hope I helped you out.
[notify]
Titan

snugglesaurus- rex

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 4:40am PST 
you can absolutely fly bigger dogs! Titan was 56 pounds at his health certificate check in late November and with the crate and bed and stuff weighed probably about 75 pounds.

Bruno - there IS an upper size/weight limit for flying but most normal dogs will be fine. (you can't just cargo check an English Mastiff, for instance.)

OP - check with Mexico and what their import regs are for animals and make sure you prepare all your paperwork ahead of time. sounds like a fairly short flight so your guy should be fine. smile
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 12:27am PST 
Actually, Titan, you can't do checked baggage with dogs in crates over a certain size/weight, but they will accept giant breeds as cargo.

Guest, the DOT/FAA rules specifically state the types of crates allowed and none of the airlines will accept a collapsible or wire crate. There are some crates that they will accept that do not use screws; I've shipped quite a few dogs in those types of crates including international shipping. Then again, I obviously use zip ties as extra protection since screws can come undone.

OP, depending on where you are departing from, you may need an acclimation certificate. That will allow you to fly the dogs if the temps are below 45 yet above 20 at your flight origin or destination.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 9:57am PST 
There is absolutely a size and weight limit when traveling on an airplane, whether as luggage or cargo. Which is specifically why giant breeds like myself generally cannot fly regular commercial airlines. The weight limit includes the crate and the dog together, which eliminates many dogs. They weigh the dog in the crate at check in, so thereʻs no getting around this restriction. Note: many airlines do not clearly state the weight restriction until you are physically at check in and ready to go. Why? Thatʻs for them to answer. Individual employee discretion can play a large role here as well, depending on the total weight.

The crate size is the questionable part of the restriction. It is left to the discretion of the travel employees on hand at the time of check in as to whether or not the crate is an appropriate size for the dog inside. Some dogs are placed in significantly smaller crates than they normally crate in simply so the weight is less. Then they meet the weight restriction and crate size restriction. But.....the employees on hand may determine the crate size to be inappropriate and not allow the travel. Or they may not. This is the risk taken with this approach.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2