GO!

Metal barrier for Subaru Outback?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 7:33am PST 
I also have a Subaru Outback and wanted one of these. I bought one that looked ok, but it never worked right and what I use instead is a expanding baby gate that I fasten in with bungee cords. It works fine and while it doesn't LOOK elegant, that is something I gave up on long ago.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 4:14pm PST 
Trigger - the projectile aspect has me concerned as well. We tether Glacier to a hook that pops out of the floor, but I really wonder if it would hold his weight in a crash? Plus there's his largeness who'd probably take our heads off in his flight. I want something to prevent that, but figured the barrier or car hook wasn't strong enough to hold him back anyway and I should just drive really carefully, bol.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 7:03pm PST 
Well after comparison shopping online for a barrier, I decided not to get one, for now. It seems pretty complicated - some are reported to fall over easily, like y'all mentioned. And apparently the non-Subaru brand ones can interfere with deployment of head airbags. It sounds like something I'd have to purchase in person from a place with a solid return policy in case it doesn't work out, rather than online.
I was in a rush because I plan to travel with Hazel this Friday. I should have taken care of this weeks ago; I'm a terrible procrastinator.
So for now I ended up purchasing a Kurgo leash zip line and some bitter spray. I think she originally started chewing the leash because it was tethered to the seatbelt and she was getting tangled in it. I hope that since she won't get tangled with the zip line and will be able to move from window to window freely, she will hardly notice the leash and will be less apt to chew. Also saturating it with the bitter spray will hopefully be another deterrent as well.
Additionally, I'm going to rig up a cargo net to block access to the front. The travel hammock in the back seat already partially covers access to the front but she could jump it if she got excited. I'll use the net to finish blocking everything. I doubt she'll try to chew it or pull it down; I don't think she's *that* frantic in the car.
I do eventually want something that will keep me safe in the event of an accident because you all have reminded me of how unsafe an projectile dog can be, and for that reason I will still look into getting the Subaru OEM pet barrier because it bolts in securely.
I hope what I've rigged together the past few days will be sufficient for our trip on Friday!!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2