GO!

Metal barrier for Subaru Outback?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 9:27am PST 
Hi all, I need a metal barrier for my travels with Hazel since she's discovered that she can chew through the leash that is supposed to keep her restrained. confused

I'm looking for one of those metal barriers to keep Hazel out of the front seats. Preferably it will be adjustable and fit behind the front seats or behind the rear seats ... but maybe that's being too picky. It's more important that it fit behind the front seats.

Any suggestions?

Edited by author Sun Jul 24, '11 9:28am PST

[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:26am PST 
I got one when I first got Mikey and I think I got it at Petsmart. I think. That was four years ago and I only used it a few times. Mikey would pull it down. Plus now I don't need it since I've given him full reign of the back of my 4Runner.

Try a pet store or even Target possibly. Or even, Amazon.com.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 4:29pm PST 
We have two Outbacks, and I heavily investigated a barrier for Glacier, Tanuk stays nicely in back but Glacier likes to visit up front and just be a bother. I read probably hundreds of reviews and decided the barrier was a waste unless your dog is pretty well behaved to begin with and unlikely to touch the barrier. Lots of reviews said the barrier would fall over on their dog mid-ride, which is certainly scary. Many said they were flimsy, or damaged the roof of the car. Hence, I ditched the idea.

Anything from a big box store will likely be unsatisfactory. I think your best bet is a really sturdy one from Cabela's or a like store. Be sure to read reviews extensively. I also highly recommend this forum for getting advice for what works for Subies:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/

Could you possibly make a sturdier tether out of jacketed steel wire from the hardware store with a carabiner attached to both ends. It might take some creative rigging, but worked for us.
[notify]

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:09pm PST 
What about a seat belt harness? shrug
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:09pm PST 
Ahhh Mikey and Tanuk this doesn't sound too promising. thinking I'll still check out the Subie forum though, just in case.
I would like to think that Hazel wouldn't bother the barrier, but she's too determined to get up front.

Edited by author Sun Jul 24, '11 6:14pm PST

[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:14pm PST 
Turner, she's chewed through two leashes that connected her harness to the seatbelt. I'm not comfortable using one of those plastic-coated metal tie-out leash type things; she'd damage her teeth anyway. (She came to us with metal marks on her teeth from trying to chew her way out of the shelter kennel!)
A travel crate may be the only effective thing but I'm 99.9% sure it'd be a waste because I'm skeptical of her crate-trainability.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:28pm PST 
Is she crated at the house? If so then she should be comfortable in the car. flowers
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:36pm PST 
Hah, I wish! No, she's not crate trained in the house. I kept meaning to start but then ... well, so many other things to work on lol. She's never had issues with chewing stuff up or going to the bathroom in the house, so we just shut her into our bedroom when we leave. She's got mild separation anxiety and seems to do best in our bedroom.
She also pukes in the car sometimes when we get into stop-n-go traffic. She used to puke even during smooth sailing on the highway, but we did get her to the point where she doesn't do that anymore. She does best in the car when I can be in the back seat with her (but obviously I can't do that when it's just me and her). I think that's why she wants to be up front - she is comforted being with her people.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Jul 24, '11 6:42pm PST 
Have you thought about using a vinyl covered metal tie out instead of a leash?

Cable tie out
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 6:50am PST 
The barrier I got is heavy duty. Found it at a tractor supply store.
The ones I was seeing at petstores were selling for hundreds of dollars and were flimsy. The one I found was around $70. It's adjustable vertically or horizontally. I can't see how it wouldn't fit in nearly any vehicle.

If properly installed it shouldn't fall down or in any way harm your vehicles interior. I know mine hasn't, even when I've had two giant Lab's literally bouncing off it on the way to the lake.

For the record, they can ride nicely in the car, but I don't care to have 60/70+ lb projectiles flying all over in the event of a car accident. In a car seat training class I had to take to get my foster care license I saw what a flying coffee cup can do to one's head...I cannot begin to imagine what a large dog could accomplish.... To put it into perspective it would be no different at all than an unrestrained human.

Being restrained somehow, either belted, crated or behind a gate, is really a safety issue for everyone in the vehicle. I hope you're able to sort something out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2