GO!

Camping in Northern California/Nevada

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Gus

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 12:48pm PST 
My mom and dad want to take Molly and I camping later this month! Dog-friendly is a MUST, obviously, and some amenities are preferred. We will be tent-camping, though, and don't need hook-ups. Any and all suggestions for dog-friendly campsites in Northern California/Nevada are welcome! Thanks!
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 1:06pm PST 
Get a map with BLM land marked clearly. BLM land allows dogs...at least they do here in Idaho...off leash hiking trails. Be careful in bear and moose country. Have fun!
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 4:43pm PST 
I don't really know too much for that area. I'm going to Tahoe later this month and it's generally the same.
I do know that California state parks don't allow dogs on the trails. Nevada state parks do so I'd avoid Cali state parks if you can. BLM land is a good idea though, definitely get yourself a map with clear definitions. National forests are also good. Not national parks though, dog's aren't really allowed in those either.
If you find a campground that you like, call it if it's got a number even if on the website it says dogs are allowed. Sometimes the rules change and they aren't updated online.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:54pm PST 
Check out Kennedy Meadows and the Golden Trout wilderness area. I'm not sure this is northern CA,(just over the mountains in the high desert) but it is a beautiful area for camping. Mammoth lakes area is nice and being a ski area, very uncrowded in the summer. Bishop is lovely too.
[notify]