GO!

Anyone been to Lake Tahoe?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Jul 8, '11 11:26pm PST 
And brought a dog with you?
My family is going to Lake Tahoe for a Memorial reunion thing at the end of this month.
Boarding Conker is not an option. I'm not willing to vaccinate him against Bordatella, he eats raw and I'm not willing to switch him to anything else for that week and he's TERRIFED of strangers if I'm not around. I'm not willing to risk his mental stability for a week-long vacation. I'm also not comfortable leaving him home since he chooses to stay inside our fence, that's how crap it is. If he wanted to he could escape, and I don't want to find out how many days it takes for him to decide to come find me so dog-sitting is also out.

While dogs are allowed at the campground the relatives picked, they aren't allowed on the beach or trails in that particular State Park (or any in California, I believe). I'd like to know if any of you have visited and brought dogs and where/what you did, hiked or what beaches you visited.
I'm fine with ditching the relatives and only doing things with Conker (I honestly can't stand some of them for more than a few days), I'll just have to secure a car, instead of leaving him in the campground all day. I wouldn't do that anyways so...
I'm doing some research right now but personal experience stories are also good so if any of you have something to share, I'd be glad to hear it!
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 10:44am PST 
I've not taken any of my dogs to Tahoe. Unfortunately I had to leave Mikey at home when I was up there a few months ago.

I'm sure there will be plenty of places to walk Conker.
Once off the main drag of the town you're in, there are areas that you can walk Conker in. Or go through neighborhoods, although there are no sidewalks.

Check out the area via google or call the chamber of commerce and ask some questions about where's a good place to take your dog.

Have fun. It is stunningly gorgeous up there.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 9:50am PST 
I have been, but not with a dog. I bring my dog on trips and have never boarded him.

Mountain towns tend to be very dog friendly. The residents of these places are often into active outdoor activities that mesh well with dogs.

Pretty sure there are plenty of hiking trails and other places that allow dogs. Maybe there's a guide book on trails for the area.
[notify]

Toby

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 4:17pm PST 
I recommend walking through the neighborhoods of Tahoe; its a gorgeous area, and the architecture of the a lot of the homes is pretty cool to see up close . When we bring the boys to our house there we generally stick to paths and neighborhoods. Everywhere that I have taken the boys has been dog very dog friendly.

Though word to the wise, be careful at night. We have bears in our area, and it has made us very careful during our late night potty run.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Wed Jul 13, '11 9:54am PST 
Done Lake Tahoe a number of times. I get to go along when my people do the great big Death Ride up there. Because it is such a long day riding, we always have someone along who isnʻt doing the ride but taking care of me that day and shuttling the group and their bikes at the beginning and end of the day.

We always get a rental house with A/C since the July weather is too warm for me during that week we go for the ride. The houses we choose to rent always have nice fenced yards and hiking/walking trails right out the back. I canʻt hike for long during those hot July days though!

I get to visit with other leos living in the Tahoe area when Iʻm there and their places are pretty sweet. Thatʻs usually enough to keep me happy socially and physically.
[notify]