GO!

Fredericksburg,VA and VA residents!!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Floppy

Did somebody say- car ride?!?!

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 10:17am PST 
In August we are going to be moving to VA from Buffalo,NY once I finish up school. I am wondering if anyone from the area or anyone who knows the area can tell me about any good dog friendly places to go to or maybe even fun dog events that occur during the year. I know that they have a dog park in Fredericksburg but if anyone can tell me other places that would be fun to go to, maybe even a beach? Anywhere 1-2 hours in radius is fine.

Also, are there any well known kill shelters there? I am looking to adopt another cat at some point and dogs down the road. Lastly, does anyone volunteer at a shelter there? I am very interested in getting involved in one.

Thanks!
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 5:45pm PST 
Hi there Floppy!
Good luck on your upcoming move, I know it can be stressful!
We are in the Richmond area (just a little ways away from Fredricksburg) and yes, there are lots and lots of dog friendly events throughout the year. The only rescue that comes to mind in that area is one of the Bully Paws rescues but I'll get the names of some more. I work with a lot of them in this area and we have a really cool multi-rescue event every month at different PetSmarts (as many as 14 different rescues have attended at the same time!.)
As far as high kill shelters in that area, I can see if anyone I know knows of any BUT keep in mind that the rescues normally pull from high kills so either way you are saving someone. Once the rescues place an animal, they can get another from the pound.
As soon as I find some in that area, I'll send you a pup mail!way to go
[notify]
Floppy

Did somebody say- car ride?!?!

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 6:17pm PST 
Thanks so much!! I had seen on Petfinder that many rescues were rescuing from kill shelters so thats why I had asked. From what I've heard it seems to be alot more dog friendly then where we are now. We are really excited for the move! smile

Edited by author Wed Jun 15, '11 6:20pm PST

[notify]