GO!

New England dog friendly camp grounds?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 9:55am PST 
My fiance and I are trying to plan our summer vacation, and we would really love to go camping.

However, I checked into the few camp grounds that we've been too before and none of them allow pets. I'd really really love to bring Kit with us. I think he would have a lot of fun, and I'd really love his company. Plus then I wouldn't have to be stressed out about leaving him with someone while we're gone.

We live in NJ but I'm looking for a camp ground in the New England area, that way we can also pay a visit to my parents sometime during the trip who live in MA.

So yeah, can anyone recommend a good dog friendly camp ground somewhere in New England? Any state - we don't mind having to travel a bit to get there. New Hampshire especially if anyone knows of any there, for some reason my fiance wants to go to NH.

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 1:24pm PST 
We LOVE Pilsbury State park, in Washington, NH. It is a primitive campground with no showers, etc., but they do have water. It's on a small glacial pond and is dog friendly. Swimming is okay if you watch for blood suckers, but kayaking and canoeing is PERFECT. They also have rentals.
Most NH State parks do accept on leash dogs.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 3:24pm PST 
Thanks I'll look into that one! Primitive is fine...that's what we're used too when camping anyways.

We've been to Pawtuckaway in NH before but that was before we got Kit, and on their website it says that pets are not allowed in the park.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 3:45pm PST 
Yeah, we were trying for White Lake Park and they don't allow them, either. Seems most of the ones that don't have fairly good sized public beaches.
We just want to kayak and hike and camp in our tent so we aren't picky. Pillsbury is great for all of that and quite private, which is nice. If you DO decide on that, I can help you pick a site.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 3:57pm PST 
Oh that'd be awesome! Yeah we pretty much just want to camp and hike, and if possible get in some canoeing and swimming but those things are kind of secondary. Does Pillsbury have a beach at all, even if it's small? I did notice it seems like the ones with bigger beaches don't allow dogs.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 4:36pm PST 
There is a tiny (25') area that they call the swimming area, but we usually canoe out to the rocks and swim there...no bloodsuckers in the deep water!!!! The dogs DO swim in that 25' area, no issues at all!
[notify]
Sadie &- Leila

Barked: Mon Jun 13, '11 8:55pm PST 
This won't help you for this camping trip, but if you ever plan on a local getaway, PA state parks have pet friendly camping. I have gone to a few of the different parks for weekend trips. Only a few hours from Newark NJ, so not too far and the sites were good.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '11 7:23am PST 
Awesome, thanks! Yeah this trip we'd like to camp in the New England area just because we're planning on spending a few days in MA visiting with my parents.

We're right outside of Newark though so looking into more local camping spots is defiantly something we'd like to do.

So for this trip, we've pretty much narrowed it down to Crawford Notch State Park, Moose Brook State Park, Bear Brook State Park, and Pillsbury State Park - all in NH.

Pillsbury sounds awesome to me, but a couple of people who will be going on the trip with us seem like they are leaning more towards one of the camp grounds that has showers and all that. So we'll see.
[notify]
Misty *RIP- Mommy's- Angel*

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '11 10:25am PST 
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/philo.htm

Mt Philo is one of our favorites here in Vermont, some friends of ours even had their wedding there, and dogs are very welcome. Actually I don't really know of any campgrounds around here (though I'm sure there are some) that aren't pet friendly as long as they are on leash and you clean up after them.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/smugglers.htm

Mt Mansfield is pet friendly too and the tallest mountain in VT with probably the best hiking!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 14, '11 11:18am PST 
As a Native Vermonter, I can attest to Mt Philo. However, not too much in the way of Kayaking there.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2