GO!

The Situation With Dogs in China

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Kujo

That's mine.- That too. It's- all mine.

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:25am PST 
I didn't know where else to put this, so here it is. I just need to vent to some people who don't think I'm crazy for caring.

I'm studying abroad in China right now, and before this was in South Korea. (This post JUST concerns China- South Korea was wonderful.) Been overseas since May 7th, and will be heading back to the states this Friday, and I can't wait. (And don't worry, Kujo has been staying with my parents and has been INCREDIBLY spoiled, while Rinoa doesn't get to come home from the breeder until July 1st.)

China is making me miserable because I love dogs and cats so much. Every street here, even in the big cities, has skinny injured strays just wandering around. Most of them are friendly, probably used to getting fed by friendly humans, though there seem to be few people who bother with them. Most pet dogs are unleashed. The few pet cats I've seen have been tied somewhere with a rope next to a bowl of rice, with only a few feet to live in and defecate in. They're all desperate for attention.

One stray dog followed me all the way to the outdoor table where I was eating with friends. She was in heat, but very calm and intelligent. I nicknamed her Cherona, and tossed her bits of beef from the hot pot when no one was paying attention. I never tried to pet her- I never try to pet the strays in this country- but she laid a few feet away in the shade and seemed to appreciate the food.

One dog owner I talked to had just gotten a new puppy- her old dog had died of parvo because they simply don't vaccinate for parvo here. She said she's begged, pleaded, and tried to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a full round of vaccines for her new puppy, but the local vets just simply don't have them to give. She said parvo destroyed a ton of dogs at the same time as hers- the vets office was full of dogs on the wooden tables, their legs held down by crude leather straps for the IV.

I just can't wait to get home and hug my dog. The history here is amazing, and I know they have much bigger problems to worry about in this country than the welfare of the dogs, but...it's just upsetting. cry
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 5:03pm PST 
Thats makes me so sad frown
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 6:39pm PST 
That just breaks my heart & makes me sick too.crycrycry
I couldn't deal with it.cry
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 8:54am PST 
I think Animals Asia http://www.animalsasia.org/ is doing good work. They (I believe) started with the rescue of moon bears from bile farms but are now also working on the issues of pet animals in the Asian countries.

One of the last newsletters I got from them was about a group of their people going in to the markets where pet animals are sold as food.

Edited by author Fri Jun 10, '11 8:55am PST

[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 5:59pm PST 
We lived in China for 5 years, there is alot of dog rescue going on there. But you have to realize, dogs and cats have only been considered "pets" in China for maybe at the most the last 20 years. This is still a fairly new concept in a country that large. That is not to excuse any abuse of pets but to realize that as a society 20 years is not a long time to figure out a dog's place in their lives.
[notify]