GO!

Question for those who travel with their dogs?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harper

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 9:14am PST 
For Memorial day my family went on a road trip and took Harper. My question is do any of your dogs hold their potty? Harper would not pee or poo unless she was about to burst she went once the first day #1 and didn't #2 until the next night and it worried me I kept taking her outside but she just would not go so the whole 4 days she went #2 2xs and #1 once a day. Have any of you had similar experiances?
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 1:06pm PST 
Tanuk has been traveling with us since he was a baby, so he's never done that. It's pretty common for dogs out of their environment to hold it though. Like when traveling or boarding. Glacier will hold it on long walks, he'll only go in our home yard.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 3:12pm PST 
Ginger only liked to "go" in her own yard. This was a problem on trips, I would have to walk her around and around and around before she would go. She was used to traveling though, she just preferred her own yard.
[notify]

Dusty

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 4:04pm PST 
Well there are 4 dogs in our home....three who have no problem in going anywhere in the outdoors when the need arises. BUT, I have a huge problem with it....Last year we went to Birmingham, AL and I didn't go for 2 days....Mom figured out that I am shy about that kind of thing and bought me a retractable lead (goes out 25 feet), then she stands way back and doesn't look my way...because I won't go if she is looking. Now she makes sure there are trees around and that her back is facing me....Sure makes traveling much better for me!!!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 5:04pm PST 
Missy will do this if there isn't a suitable place for her to go. We went to a cottage last June that had only a small concrete patio area for a garden and because she's used to going on grass she would NOT go on the patio. We had to take her out on walks a few times a day. Her very first holiday when she was 6 months old she acted the same way, even on grass! It was just an alien environment for her.

I agree with the rest. If Harper isn't used to traveling or visiting new places then she just might have felt uncomfortable in new surroundings.

Edited by author Thu Jun 2, '11 5:05pm PST

[notify]
Harper

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 6:26pm PST 
Thanks for the responses I feel much better about the situation now.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 5:25am PST 
This is where poop/pee commands come in very, very handy.

I know an adopted dog whoʻs people traveled with him a lot. He would hold it all until it things got bad. As in, blowouts. So his people traveled with a little poop and pee in bags that theyʻd put out, encouraging him to poop and pee. It worked. Still kinda nasty.

When my person met this dog and found out that it had been a DEA service dog, that explained everything. It was well trained to pee and poop on command and his people didnʻt know that command. It had been years since the dogʻs training but my person gave the command to that dog once and he followed through within seconds. My person taught the very simple command to this dogʻs owners and they were amazed. They no longer travel with extra poop and pee when they take him on road trips. They simply give him the command instead.

I am not as precise on my poop and pee command but use it more as an encouragement. Always works. Worthwhile training for everyoneʻs sake.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:43am PST 
Has Harper traveled before?

Saya and Bella traveled to Wisconsin and did fine peeing and pooping at the rest stops and once we got to our hotel.

They both have a potty command so maybe work on that?
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 3:05pm PST 
We've travelled with Lupi since she was a puppy, including a number of trips between Mexico and Canada. Sometimes we'd travel all day, our stops were brief, and we needed her to go quickly. Sometimes we needed her to go on pavement, although she is used to grass. We proofed the "go potty" command early on and she has never had a problem. It works great at the vet's too, when they need urine samples.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 4:04pm PST 
Bianca supposedly knew a potty command (from her previous owners) and they travelled all over with her, but she never responds to it when I try to give it.
shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2