GO!

Tent Camping in the Mountains?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 9:15pm PST 
This summer my boyfriend and i planned on going to Virginia to go camping in the mountains. Would it be impossible to bring the dogs? it would be about a 13 hour drive from Michigan. We would be taking my escape or his grand prix, hes not really for bringing any dogs, but i am. Any advice?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 10:29pm PST 
It would definitely not be impossible.
Last year I had a friend who drove from the east coast to the west coast, tent camping every night and they had 2 dogs!

We make the 13-hour drive from here to Montana every year with Chance. We are typically gone for 17 or 18 days.
And I manage to jam everything 2 adults and a 22" tall dog needs for that time into a 2002 Jeep Wrangler!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon May 30, '11 11:06pm PST 
Have you ever tented with the dogs before?

If not, consider a test-run in the backyard. And if that goes well I would consider a weekend test-run at a local campground.

Rexy has gone backpacking with us in the mountains and did very well.
She loves nothing more than to be where we are, so getting to snuggle up between hubby and I in a small tent is way up on her list of fun things to do!

If the dogs get stressed out during car rides or don't do well during your test runs, then it may be better for them to stay home.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue May 31, '11 9:32am PST 
I havent tent camped with Kashmir yet, shes used to the camper but planned on doing test runs in the backyard or short weekend trips. She is very fine in the car and will just lay down and go to sleep. I guess i just need to figure out what we will be doing and then think if the dogs should come.
[notify]
Otto

King Snuggler!

Barked: Wed Jun 1, '11 5:39pm PST 
We've camped with our dogs many times. They love being out in the wild, it's like a big adventure for them. They had no problems in the tent either as long as they got to snuggle. I guess it depends on the dog, but I say give it a go! If they're okay in the car, I don't think a long car ride will be an issue either. We have small cars, but manage to make it work. I think it will be a great time for you!
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 6:06am PST 
Personally, I just don't see the point of going camping without the dogs. It's one of the few vacation options that dogs can participate in without a hefty price tag. As long as they travel okay, I'd definitely take them smile Planing some camping trips up north this year with the pack, can't wait. They love the tent, feel like a wolf pack all in our cave smile I think it's such a great bonding experience. Bark Magazine did a great piece on it last year, here's a link to it.

http://www.thebark.com/content/simple-life-camping-ultimate-dog- friendly-vacation

Edited by author Thu Jun 2, '11 6:08am PST

[notify]
Beanster, CD, RN, CGC

We don't - doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 11:34am PST 
I'm with Quincy... the main reason I go camping is for the dogs!!! I bring a small expen for those times when we are cooking or something and need them confined, otherwise they are right with us all the time. I did have an issue with Beanie unzipping the tent door every night and going for a midnight walk, but I got a big snap and snapped down the zipper so that ended that fun.
Of course, I do have small dogs, but we all LOVE camping!!!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 12:20pm PST 
Another thing to take into consideration is if you will be going anywhere or doing anything that is not dog-friendly....

It'll be much too hot to leave them in the vehicle, and not safe to leave them unattended at a campsite.
[notify]
ROSIE

have passport,- will travel

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 6:14am PST 
If you are camping in pine forests please read my advice at:-
http://hemle.blogspot.com/2011/05/dangerous-caterpillars.html

I am not sure if this applies to USA but certainly in Europe take care........
[notify]