GO!

soft "pop-up" crates

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 5:56am PST 
So, for the last 4 years I've been using wire crates for my dogs. They are crated when we are away and when they sleep at night. Whenever we go away and they stay with someone, we pack up the HEAVY, awkward wire crates and tote them to wherever they are staying. Just for reference, I am usually the one who folds the crates up and down, last weekend I asked my fiance to do it while I was at work-guessing it was BRUTE strength and a lot of cussing that got them folded down, now they are bent in some areas making them hard to take apart.

WITH ALLLL that being sad. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought the $20ish pop up soft crates from like Target per say? I was wondering if they would have any adjustment issues?

I am dropping them off at a friends for the weekend and can't bare to struggle with the bent crates. You know what they say..if you want something done right hahah

Edited by author Thu May 12, '11 5:57am PST

[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:16am PST 
We have a wire crate and a pop-up crate. The boys easily transfer to any wire crates, but for some reason they think the soft sided one is going to eat their souls. They'll go in, but pace, pant, and whine the whole time they're in there. Plus, if unsupervised they'd easily be able to break out of it.

Would taking an x-pen or baby gate work? It'd be a lot easier. Some people use the soft crates and do fine, but mine didn't and were even introduced at a young age.

Also, keep in mind that not all soft crates are created equal. We have a pretty sturdy heavy duty one I ordered online. The ones at Walmart and Target are mostly just nylon mesh and only contain the dog if it's content to just snooze anyway. They're about the same as those pop-up laundry baskets, but with a zipper closure.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 11:01am PST 
We have had many soft sided crates, they may be easier to handle when traveling but beware. The one that we had Zoe had scratched the screen part and got out. When I got Kashmir, i wanted a soft crate for doing 4-h and when we went to dog shows. We bring it camping for her because Zoe doesnt need a crate anymore. She stays in it just fine, but for my security about leaving her i bring the wire crate.
[notify]

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 2:18pm PST 
I had a feeling it may not be a good idea! My dog Winston would be fine, he's pretty easy going but Maddie, the pug, I'm not quite sure how she would act. She will chew up any bed that we put in her kennel so I'm afraid she'd chew threw that! I'll just suffer and drag the wire ones for now..until I can afford a quality mesh one.
[notify]
Milo, CGC

The Definitive- Autism Service- Dog

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 6:05pm PST 
I have a soft pop-up crate from Target for Milo and we love it. It's a bit of a learning curve to collapse but once you get the hang of it it's easy. The key is practice! I think they are more portable and are much cheaper. I'll put one in my backpack if we go anywhere overnight and it doesn't take a lot of space.

A thought- you could try spraying the crate with bitter spray to prevent your dog from chewing. Also, treat training and calming pheromones to acclimate her to the crate may help alleviate any anxiety. wink
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu May 12, '11 10:47pm PST 
My Mom's dogs seem to love crates and don't try to escape from their soft crates. I wouldn't trust Conker in one of them though, simply because he's a Shiba Inu.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 10:55am PST 
pop up crates didn't work at all for mine. the moment they wanted something outside the crate, they just dug at the fabric until it shredded. They're not dogproof at all. You really have to have a very docile dog to have a pop-up crate.
[notify]