GO!

Car carriers/seats for small dog, help?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Snickers

The Wonder- Pooch!

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 9:21am PST 
Going on another road trip in a few weeks and looking for a better way for Snickers to travel, got any ideas? He is 8lbs and a little nervous during car travel, getting better though. On the last trip we took a huge dog crate in the minivan(placed right behind my seat), he did not throw-up but was panting and nervous most of the time. Yesterday was his first trip with no nerves, it was a short trip home from the groomers~in my lap! That can't be the norm!!!
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 3:12pm PST 
I use a Snoozer car seat and Snoozer seat belt harness. When I just have Bingley in the car, I can put it in my front seat because the air bag turns off when he sits there, and he likes that. He's where I can have the AC blow on him if he gets hot (which he usually does in the car) and easily reach him to pet him if he seems like he needs reassuring. I think on the trip I'm taking in a month that he and Emmett will ride in the backseat together in their car seats to keep each other company since it will be about a 3 - 4 hour ride.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 5:09pm PST 
I bought this one for my Daisy Mae

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307 +12+22221&pcatid=22221

I bought the medium size for her since I knew she would get up around 20 pounds. I like that it can buckle in or hang over the headrest with the strap, and it can zip closed and be a carrier. I have had to zip Daisy Mae closed inside it once when we were driving. It was the day I picked her up from being spayed and she tried to jump out of the carrier to the front seat to see me.

The only thing I do not like about it is their clasp. Mine pulled out of the D-ring, but I just use and old leash clasp, or the clasp from the leash Daisy Mae will be using when we walk.
[notify]

Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 9:32pm PST 
Well, if he is nervous you might go for a soft carrier. ASPCA has a bag that's made by Bergan, you can get it at walmart for about $20, and it has a small size and a medium size. the medium size is good for dogs 10-20lbs, though I don't know if a 20lbs dog would be happy in it. Foxxy is kind of cramped in the small which is for up to 10 lbs. She's 7lbs, and she does love riding with us, though she does pant the whole way. I think she pants because there's too much stimulation. When she is done looking, she just sleeps with no trouble.

She also likes my friend's outward hound thing. it' sopen and has a little tether to keep the animal in, but it attatches around the head rest. my friend uses hers for her cat because the cat is leash trained and likes to ride along.
[notify]
Snickers

The Wonder- Pooch!

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 7:58am PST 
You know I found a local pet store that has bunch of choices, many of the ones mentioned. so I'm taking Snickers in to try them out and see what we like. I want a good fit for sure!hug
[notify]