GO!

Eppy's Transatlantic Travelogue

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 5:57pm PST 
I decided to make it official with a thread. I will update this as Eppy's journey progresses.

Last night I bought all the necessary paperwork so I can learn what it takes to get her over the pond! I don't know for sure yet if I have the job, but as soon as I have a job, I'm going to start the process.

Step One: procure needful paperwork.
Step Two: review the procedures and guidelines.
Step Three: procure gainful employment.
Step Four: estimate costs, figure out and plan time frame, purchase and mark calendar so all procedures are plotted out, mail everything to Nana, brief her on the process.
Step Five: book plane tickets.
Step Six: wait six months. Suffer.
Step Seven: fly to United States
Step Eight: return triumphant to United Kingdom with dog.
Step Nine: rejoice!

Welcome aboard, looking forward to the ride! happy dance
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 7:22pm PST 
Time for our first update.

So I have purchased the paperwork necessary to obtain Eppy's Pet Passport, and it's still not arrived. I feel a bit broody about that. When will it get here?!

I also have a form that needs to be faxed to AVID so they can update the information that is attached to Eppy's microchip. I plan to do that tomorrow.

My birthday is on Thursday. I'll be 29. Eppy's is next month, she's turning 12. Our family tradition was to make a big fuss of birthdays, but this year, I don't think we'll be doing much. D isn't that keen on the birthday thing, we've not got much money, and all I really want is Eppy. If I start this process next month, that means it will be October before she can come home. It feels like a life age.
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 8:02pm PST 
I'm confused.thinking

Otto has a pet passport from the UK. We had to go to a vet recognized by the government (DEFRA, I think). In order to get the passport, you have to have all the paperwork and testing done before you apply for the passport.

I know there are places on-line that say they issue "pet passports" but they aren't recognized by the UK government.

ETA: Since the vet had to verify the microchip number with the rabies titer level test, there is no way you can get a real "pet passport" by mail.

Best to check out the DEFRA website. Know what you're getting before you pay anything- it may not be what you expect!!!shrug

Edited by author Sun Apr 17, '11 8:04pm PST

[notify]

Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 8:15pm PST 
Ah no, I am sorry for the confusion. I didn't buy the passport. That takes six months and a bunch of shots and fuss. frown I just bought the package-o-paperwork that leads UP to the passport.

Pet Travel Store: Immagration Forms

That was what I got, and from where. It is just all the forms you have to have, conveniently located in a package instead of having to track them down from various government entities. My time and sanity was definitely worth the cost. wink

Edit: had a look at the DEFRA site and am pretty glad I bought the package (it was recommended to me by someone else who has done this with their dog too). Liiiitttle bit confusing on that site! It doesn't matter where you are, government websites are never user friendly BOL.

Edited by author Sun Apr 17, '11 8:25pm PST

Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 8:44pm PST 
Too bad you didn't contact us. We did it all on our own, from Canada. Otto's been to England four times and we have reservations for our fifth visit this summer.

I agree, it's quite an undertaking, but it's pretty straight forward (the first time is the worst) and DEFRA is wonderful helping out with any questions. Going from the UK to North America is simple - it's going the other way that gets complicated.

I think it's a shame that places charge you for forms you can get for free on the internet. The vet we use for Otto when we are in the UK is an authorized vet. Not all are, but I think many are. Maybe you should have checked with your vet. You might have saved some cash.

I guess as long as your happy, though, that's all that matters.

Cheerio!wave
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 9:12pm PST 
Thank you, Otto. I really appreciate it. I mean, what if I'd bought something that said it was the passport?! That would totally stink. I'm not sorry I did this, if for no other reason than I have been freaking out about this whole thing. But that doesn't change the fact that it was good of you to warn me!

I'm also glad to be finding more people now who have done the procedure. It must be possible. laugh out loud I keep feeling like this is going to be so horrible but it might just be the anxiety talking.

Can you please clear something up for me? What is it like on the actual plane trip? That's what's been killing me the most this whole time. She's got to be on that plane for 8 hours with no potty break-- is there somewhere she can relieve herself when she clears customs in London?

I still haven't figured out how we're getting from London back to Sunderland. frown
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 9:17am PST 
Eppy you can do it! cheer
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 7:34am PST 
Eppy, we are right there with you! We know how you long to be together again!
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Wed Apr 20, '11 6:18pm PST 
Thanks, Jewel and Savvy. This is the most depressing birthday ever.

Have the paperwork now. Nothing, not this paperwork or the website or anything I can find, explains what happens when you get off the flippin plane at Heathrow. Ugh.

And where do I find these magical accredited veterinarians that have to do things in magical timeframes a day before the flight and no sooner, when we've got to get her from Ft. Wayne to Detroit for said flight and really don't have time to be mucking about?!

UGH. I'm almost glad we can't start yet. I feel so helpless. I wish I was just a kazillionaire and could pay one of those ripoff companies thousads of dollars to do this for me. It'd be worth it just to save on the hassle, if I had it to spend. frown
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 7:04am PST 
Eppy, I strongly suggest that you ask you vet if they are accredited. If they are, they will have a letter of authorization from the Area Veterinarian in Charge for your state. If not, then I'd suggest contacting the AViC for your state. You can find the listing for them HERE

Hopefully, your vet is accredited or there is one close.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4