GO!

Two Boxers in the Backcountry, Wyoming

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Apr 8, '11 10:47pm PST 
Another vote for dog boots! Or at the very least, bring the supplies to make a makeshift boot should one of the dogs cut a pad (old cotton socks, duct tape, gauze, vet wrap...).

Also, find a dog friendly product that will keep the bugs away (esp. since boxers have such short fur). We've only backcountry hiked with Rexy once (she slit a pad), and the bugs were horrid. She would bolt for the tent and try to paw her way in....I had to resort to wiping my DEET-repellent filled hands around her face and on her legs in an attempt to keep the bugs away.

Oh, and Ruff Wear packs are awesome!
[notify]
Boo

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 7:58pm PST 
Good point. I've got to do some research on booties. Yeah, one fly bite and Daisy bumps right up. Good call as well.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:26pm PST 
Rexy, is DEET safe to use on dogs for mosquito repelling? I've used it too, same way you did- once when camped by a lake the skeeters were just eating poor Ginger alive, so I sprayed DEET on my hands and wiped them on her face (careful around the eyes, of course) and it seemed to work well and not hurt her. I haven't read anything about using it on dogs.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2