GO!

Swimming in a river

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Sat Apr 2, '11 8:18pm PST 
When it warms more I would like to take Sara to a small river to swim. Last year she swam in the neighbor's pool and loved it, so I would like to find a nice place for her to swim. I've taken her off leash at my sister's farm, and she had a great time and stayed where she could see me, but I'm a little worried about her being off leash. The place I'm thinking of has a nice wide pool of water, and I would take her before campers start camping (probably in May). She's microchipped and tagged. What do people think? She really likes to be with me, even in the back yard, if I go in, she's at the door also.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 9:11pm PST 
You could get a long lead, like a 30 or 50 footer to use.
Be careful though, don't let your dog swim where you wouldn't. Stay away from currents and debris and such. A dog here floated down the river and hasn't been found yet. I can't remember exactly what they were doing, rafting I think, but that poor dog got pulled by a gentle current into a nasty one.
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Tue Apr 5, '11 7:54am PST 
WE swim in the river all summer here, the dogs and the kid wear life jackets and we have floaties and toys and food lol. MY dogs LOVE it. So does my daughter. Theres a couple DEEP pools we go to. I would get a life jacket for sure for your dog. And if you dont trust him or are worried a long line would work. My dogs are just loose when we go.
[notify]

Sara

Live life to the- fullest

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 9:36am PST 
Thanks for your advice. What brand of lifevest would you recommend?
[notify]