GO!

Going away for first time without Mikey

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 1:41pm PST 
I'm going away for the first time since I got Mikey and I'm getting nervous about it. I have never been away from him over night so my dog walker will stay the night with him for the two nights that I'm gone.

He's going to get his morning walk, afternoon walk and evening walk, but of course his evening walk won't be as long and I don't know if he'll empty his bladder before bed and I don't know what time his evening walk will be and I'd hate for him to have to wait 12 hours until the morning to go pee again.
Would it be rude of me to ask exactly what that schedule will be like?
I am a nervous nelly when it comes to him. I wish I could take him with me, but my brother in-law does not like animals so my snow dog doesn't get to go up to the snow with me. Totally stinks.

I'm also asking for a text message after every single walk. Is that over kill? I know if I get a text after every walk, I'll be able to totally relax.

I know Mikey will be fine, but he is so sensitive and I don't want him to think I'm abandoning him. Ugh.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 2:29pm PST 
hug I know it is hard, but he will be OK. I was away from my dogs for 5 weeks last summer! They were with hubby, but he is not mewink Bunny was fine except for gaining 8 poundsnaughty Princesse did not even know I was gonelaugh out loud I don't think asking your dog walker the schedule is unreasonable. And if a text message makes you feel better, why not? I know Mikey has issues but if this is his regular dog walker they must know how to deal with them. Poor Bunny did not get many walks while I was gone.confused None of us like leaving our babies, but they and we get through ithug
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 4:24am PST 
I don't think it's overkill to ask for a text after walks, just because it isn't a huge, time-consuming request. It would take all of what? 5 seconds? And I don't think it's rude to ask about schedule. It IS your dog and she is technically your employee. I bet she'd understand perfectly. I think most good pet owners are kind of nervous nellies about their dog babies. Or I hope so, because I sure am.
[notify]

Beau

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 5:38am PST 
He won't think you are abandoning him, no worries! We have to leave Beau for 10 days in August and I can't even think about it...frown
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 12:06pm PST 
Not rude at all to ask for the walk schedule. In fact, you could even set it, depending on your relationship with the dog walker. Unless this person is doing this gratis, you are paying for a service. It's not out of bounds to ask for certain parameters in how that service is performed.

Doesn't like animals!?! Poo on that brother in law, I say. wink

Don't worry too much, Mikey will be fine. Try to enjoy your vacation.dog
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 5:01pm PST 
hug

As a dog walker and sitter here's my perspective. It's totally fine to ask what the schedule will be, or to suggest your own! The more details the better. The texting however...would get annoying, but I'm not a texter at all. I have one client with a bunch of little dogs and she texts me incessantly. I understand that she misses them and wants to know what they're up to...but it is wearing. I always leave my clients a note of what the dog did each walk, where we went, how they did, etc.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 10:46am PST 
Mikey will be fine!! Definately get with the walker about the schedule. The good thing is that Mikey knows the walker - he'll be alright. The hard part is to relax and enjoy while your away. way to go
[notify]