GO!

What happens in a car accident?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 2:46pm PST 
This is where how you put your dog in the car matters! I read an interview about this in either a book or magazine about dogs. I can't remember because it was a few years ago, but I didn't forget the advice!

If there is an accident and your dog is still in the car, emergency folks will often get a dog out if they can. They are much more likely to take the risk if the dog is contained in some way, like in a crate or having a leash on that they can grab. A lot of people don't want to risk being bitten by a dog who is frightened and possibly hurt and defending the car from strangers who have taken their person away and are approaching them in an enclosed space.

Since reading that I have always, in absence of other restraints, at least kept a leash on Eppy in the car!
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 10:05pm PST 
Here if you have to go to the hospital and the accident was in the city limits, the dog will be taken to the already full pound and euthanized due to lack of a place to put it. If you are outside the city, the dog will be ignored entirely (lucky if a paramedic cuts it lose form the car.) If you don't have to go to the hospital, it's up to you what to do with the dog, vet or not in the country, in the city, you need to see a vet. (No dog laws outside city limits and, no animal control services either)
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 4:22am PST 
Okay, so it sounds like there is a somewhat standard routine there. Abner is belted in, btw. But I might start keeping his leash on as well.

@Halo
shock That's kind of sad.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 5:06pm PST 
Since it's related, we just bought Tanuk a new Kurgo harness and tether to attach him to the car. I Daisy Mae has that many pounds of force behind her trajectory, I can only imagine Tanuk would take our heads off! shock
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 6:07pm PST 
Halo- surely your AC has to at least hold the dogs for a few days? I know where I live they hold the dog 5-7 days. You make it sound like the dog goes straight from the van to the gas chamber! I know that if I were in an accident I would be able to bail my dogs out of AC, or at least find someone to bail them out.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 3:27am PST 
i think that the some one helps them....but its occurs in a accident which is so sad for everyone.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Wed Apr 4, '12 5:03pm PST 
Having worked on an ambulance as well as been with different volunteer fire departments there is usually someone caring enough to snag the dogs and bring them to the local vet for boarding. I know that I have personally brought in dogs when I was a volunteer to the vet and even temporarily housed another dog when the owner was in critical care while waiting for a family member to pick the poor thing up.

I also remember working one day when we showed up at a minor fender bender involving a horse trailer. All the humans were fine, but the horse in the trailer had a severe gash just above her hoof. We cleaned it, wrapped it, and off she went to the equine vet.

I just hope that if I were ever in an accident with my pets with me, somebody would be caring enough to take care of mine.
[notify]
Bailey - BN, RN, CGC

Are you sure I- wwant to sleep

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 8:18pm PST 
I never thought of this till it happened to me 7 weeks ago I wrecked my vehicle with Bailey in it trying to avoid a vehicle that lost control I was unhurt but my cousin who was in the vehicle I avoided was uncouncious they wanted me to stay with her and since it was out in the middle of nowhere with no shelter they took Bailey to the police station until someone could get her which was the next morning. If I didnt have her harnessed in she probably would have got lose.
[notify]
Sirius- Padfoot- Black

Too clever for- Mom's own good!- :)

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 12:42pm PST 
Abner, thanks for asking about this, cause I hadn't really thought about it. I do keep Siri and the littles either on a leash or in their crates, which I then belt in, but I think I'll put some info about who to call on the crates and maybe a tag on Siri's leash. Thanks again!
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 7:51pm PST 
I put an info/ID card attached to my dog's seatbelt harness in case of emergency. I also include a folder containing information on my dog(s) and emergency info about who to call if there's an emergency in a pocket behind the passenger seat. I also added info on her ID card saying where to find the folder, so people would know where to find the emergency information. I also keep a copy of her vaccination/titer records there so we always have those with us in case we need it (sometimes we go to events or training classes where they might request that info).

This is what I had for my previous two dogs, I got a DIY luggage tag kit which had sticky-backed "lamination" material to cover, and printed out the info using my computer printer on card stock, then covered it with the laminated sheet which also had a cutout for a strap to attach it.
This is what theirs looked like:
Ginger and Pooch's luggage tag cards

I got Bianca an actual ID card online instead because the edges of the lamination on the DIY tag kept coming apart. I found a place online where you can get custom ID cards for a low price so I did that instead...
This is what Bianca's looks like:
Bianca's Car ID Card
(front and back)

If you do a search online you can find emergency info forms that you can download, print and fill out about you and your dog. I took the info from one I found online and personalized it with Bianca's photos. I also made sure to include the info for our vet (who I know would treat my pets in an emergency even if I wasn't there to pay right away, and would board Bianca if I was injured or something and could not pick her up) and also info for the emergency vet where she donates blood because one of the things you get for being a blood donor is the donor dog gets free blood products for life (plus they know her there.)
I also printed out recent photos of Bianca on a page with her physical description just in case if she ever went missing while we were traveling.

Here are a few travel info forms you can download, from Dog Scouts of America--

Driver Info: http://tinyurl.com/6wddmkg
Emergency Info: http://tinyurl.com/7uhrnrn
Dog Info: http://tinyurl.com/82rfdj6

Edited by author Mon Apr 9, '12 7:56pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2