GO!

What happens in a car accident?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 5:21pm PST 
Here's something I've been wondering for a while. What happens to a dog in a car accident? If they're alright but I'm hurt where do they go? What if we're both hurt? Will someone take them somewhere?

Super curious. thinking
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 5:54pm PST 
There were alot of car wreck where we lived in FL - usually if the human was sent to the hospital someone from the Humane Society would take the dog(s) until family picked them up. Unfortunately sometimes the dogs would run from the scene and we would put up flyers. I guess it depends on the area where the crash is. Now if I were to come upon an accident where I live now (NW PA) I would offer to take a dog and leave my information with the police - no problem...
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 7:00pm PST 
Where I live, they take the animal to the Animal Shelter and hold them until someone from the family picks them up. They even have a "no-charge" grace period. When my friend recently had a house fire (his ex-wife accidentally burned down his house she was living in)and there were 3 dogs living there. Everyone made it out of the house safe, but she had to go to the hospital. He had the animal shelter take all 3 dogs to the Animal Shelter. When he picked them up a few days later he found out they did not charge for the first night stay, but they did charge to bring them all up to date on their shots and licenses.
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 8:43am PST 
I've never seen an accident here with the dog involved, so I'm honestly not sure. thinking

To add to that, in the event of an accident, Tanuk would likely hop out and go about screaming his head off as if he were an impalement victim, despite him being totally fine. He'd likely seek out attention from the rescue people and end up with them.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 10:00pm PST 
Good question. I think they would probably call animal control. That is, assuming the dog is still in the car. If the dog was loose in the car they may be scared or disoriented and run away after the accident if a window is broken. I also know of at least two accidents involving show dog handlers where the show dogs' crates broke open in the crash and several dogs escaped and were running loose on the highway. In one case both dogs were hit by cars, another case I think they found at least one of the dogs unharmed but the dog was missing for a while.

Another thing to think about, if you have a dog riding loose in the car (without a seatbelt or strapped down crate) they also will become basically a projectile in the car during an accident. They can slam into people in the car, or other parts of the car or the windows/windshield with a LOT of force.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 3:57am PST 
Daisy Mae has a car seat that she gets strapped into. It also has a shoulder strap and can be zipped closed if I need it as a carrier. People laugh at me until I tell them that in a 50 mph crash she could become over 5000 (or is it 500?)pounds of force flying through the air. If anything, I have to have Daisy Mae restrained or she would want to be in my lap while I was driving.

Last year, there was a car accident around here. The dogs, pugs, were crated, but their crates were not restrained. The car rolled and the crates broke open. The pugs got loose and ran off. I can't remember if they ever found them.

I was also told once that police can and will put an animal down on scene if it seems aggressive and will not let emergency personnel near the injured humans.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 7:09am PST 
It probably varies from place to place, but if you're conscious you can call (or ask them to call) a family member to come take possession the dog.

When I was in an accident a few months ago, there was one fireman who took charge of the dogs way to go. He kept them away from the accident scene and the firetrucks, ambulance, etc., while I dealt with the EMTs and police.
[notify]
Rocky (In- Loving- Memory)

Golden Angel

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 9:46am PST 
About 10 years ago, my dog Rocky was in the car with my father when he got into a very serious car accident. My father was taken the hospital and my dog was taken to the shelter until we could go pick him up.

Edited by author Mon Mar 21, '11 9:47am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 12:28pm PST 
once when I was at the vet for something, someone came in with a puppy who'd been in a car accident. The person bringing him in was a witness/bystander to the scene, because the owner (car driver) was currently en route to the hospital in an ambulance. The puppy was badly injured and did not survive. Very sad.
[notify]
Angel

Little Angel

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 1:29pm PST 
One of my uncles got into a very serious car accident with his dog. He was taken to the hospital and the dog was taken to the shelter. The dog was seriously injured so they immediately took him to the vet, but the vet found that he had broken his back. frown I know that the dog was put down, I don't know whether or not the vet called and asked the family what to do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2