GO!

Roadtrip help

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

❤ Sadie- ❤

Miss Sadie the- Trouble Maker

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 4:22pm PST 
so first week of April for spring break we are heading up to Vegas from Orange County. The girls get to tag along on this vacatio for the first time. No matter how many times they get in the car to go on little errands they just do not like the car.

They whine and pant in the car. Car errands with them will usually last 5-30 min. When we take them to the boarding facility which is about 25-30 min they will calm down the last 5-10 min usually but not always. We were going to do a crate but we can barely fit all the luggage and the people in the car so they will be sitting on a passengars lap like they usually do.

What are some ways to keep them calm for the 6-8+ hour car ride and in general what are some good rest stops?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 7:14pm PST 
Get them used to the car when it's off. Use a high value treat and put it on the seat, then gradually work up to giving them the treats while in the car with the engine off. This could take a long time, but be sure that if they start to get nervous take them out and wait a while then try again. When they are calm enough with the engine off, turn it on a treat again, then turn it off. gradually work up until they can calmly sit in the car with the engine running then put it in gear, begin to move, etc. Keep the sessions short and fun, include a favorite toy in the process.

That's what I did with Conker. He's still not 100% fond of the car but he doesn't have any problems riding once he's gotten in. It may or may not work for your dogs, each one is different.

Another thing you could try is the Thundershrit. I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and maybe something like Rescue Remedy but I didn't have much luck with RR. The Thundershirt uses some sort of pressure to calm the dog and can be used for anything stress related. I'd look that up and see if it's be an option.
[notify]