GO!

Solo camping trip with the dogs.

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:02am PST 
Well this summer i plan on taking a camping trip with Kashmir. I have tent camped many times and dont mind it, she however is used to my parents camper trailer. She has never tent camped in her life yet. My bf said he would come to, but i doubt it. Now i have some questions about camping with her alone:

What should i do with her when i go to the bathroom or go to take a shower?
What to do if it rains and were cooped up all day in a tent?
What if i need to run to the grocery store?
Any other advice?
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 7:37am PST 
Well, I happen to have a very laid back camping companion. I am blessed with Quincy, he is the kind of dog who is ready to go anywhere, do anything when I want to, but if we do nothing all day, that's just fine, too. He is used to the tent as we usually tent camp at flyball tournaments in the summer (as well as camp) so he is comfortable in it. I can leave him in there when I have to leave or shower or anything and know he won't do anything (I do have to make sure I take out any food though, or bury it deep in my bag, he is a dog wink) With first-timers it's always something of a mystery how they'll do. I took Flynn and Riley along to one of our tournaments this summer and it was the first time for them in a tent. 3 dogs by myself was a bit interesting, but they settled down after a couple of minutes and were good after that. For times when I did have to leave for longer to race etc I bring an x-pen or if I'm in a campground and don't trust to just leave them with strangers, I put them in their crates in the car. You can try some yard camping if you want to give it a test run and help her get more comfortable with the tent. I also always make sure I bring beds from home so they have a place to go to that they already know. otherwise, anyways, just have fun! I love camping with my crew, there's something really primal and "pack" like having everyone sleep in the same "den". Fun smile You are making me look forward to summer!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 8:10am PST 
Thanks Quincy. I guess im just nervous about leaving her in the tent alone. I know shes used to being in new places left alone, like when i go to to my friends house and we grab something to eat she stays in my friends room with her dog. But thanks for the info and i am very excited for my summer!! dancing
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 12:18pm PST 
I've tent camped with Ginger and also with Bruno. If you have to leave Kashmir when you go to the bathroom or the store, I think it would be better to put her in the car or tethered to something like a tree or post rather than in the tent. Bring a steel cable tether line or a lightweight chain, in case she tries to chew it.

I don't like to leave a dog in the tent because tents are quite flimsy, it would be easy for a dog to rip it or collapse it if they get loney or frustrated. My dogs never damaged my tent, but a friend of mine had at least one tent wrecked by his dog, so she is now tethered just outside the tent when he goes camping with her. She has a very thick coat, though, and can take being outside all night.

Dogs can take a while to get used to the night sounds in a campground as well. At first, Bruno got up and barked at every little sound, car doors slamming, wild animals walking through camp, coyotes howling, etc, but after a couple nights he got over it and only barked at things that sounded serious, like a person walking up to our tent. (It was a park ranger checking to make sure I'd paid for my space.)
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 2:32pm PST 
Thanks Bruno. She is used to camping but it will be a new experience and i like the putting the tent in the backyard idea. Ive been doing some research of tips online on tent camping with dogs, and also in the area we plan on going to. dancing
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 5:51pm PST 
My 10 best dog camping tips:

1. Tags with your cell phone number on them
2. Use the leash snap to "lock" your tent. Clip the leash snap through both tent door zippers, so it locks the door and your dog can't nose out of your tent in the middle of the night.
3. Get info on a vet and an EVet nearest your campsite.
4. Bring a first aid kit, complete with Benadryl
5. Check into the rules of the campsite for dogs. Some require the leash to be a certain length. Some do not allow dogs to be tied to trees, benches etc.
6. If you are bringing your car to your campsite, bring a crate. Crates are very handy to have while camping. Great for when you are setting up your site, cooking, starting a fire, taking a shower etc.
7. Be prepared for fleas/ticks.
8. Come prepared with a lost dog flyer with your dog's picture and info on it, just in case.
9. Bring an extra leash and collar, just in case.
10. Be considerate of other campers and wildlife, pack out your dog's poo, don't let her loose to harass wildlife, and don't let her bark. wink

And have fun!
[notify]
Taichi

Ninja Canine

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:47pm PST 
I'd like to do this with my dog someday. I don't think I'd be totally comfortable leaving him tethered to something by himself though. I've never had any bad experiences, but it just makes me paranoid. It seems so easy for someone to just walk up and take them. Thats why I can't take them with me when I go downtown to the bank or when I want to get some tea or something. The dogs aren't allowed inside, and I think that the people at Tim Hortons would be kind of ticked off if I walked through the Drive Thru.

I guess there's the option of the car then. But camping is usually in the summer, isn't that dangerous? Or are we only talking about this as an option for brief forays to the bathroom?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Feb 15, '11 8:41am PST 
True, cars do get hot in the summer, but if you're taking a shower in the early morning the temps are often less than 60 degrees. Heck I camped in May in the Rockies and it snowed.

I don't take many showers while backpacking, though. A good swim with your dogs can take care of that, too.wink
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Feb 20, '11 1:02pm PST 
I'm the type who leaves my car at the trailhead or parking lot (if allowed) and backpack to my spot, usually in areas where camping wherever you want is allowed. (several miles from the car.)
I will most likely be doing some of that and some car camping with Conker this spring/summer, starting out with the car camping just in case he freaks about the smallest things so I can pack up and leave quickly and easily, or put him in the Jeep at night if he barks too much at first.
Always let someone know where you're going, how long you'll be and what to do/how to contact the right rangers if you never come back. I try to stick to areas with cell coverage, at least at where I park my Jeep or somewhere where I can get to a place with some kind of coverage.

Things I'd do are:
Check to be sure dogs are allowed and what the tie-out rules are.
If tie-outs are allowed, get two heavy duty cables (one longer than the other) and tie the longer one around two trees roughly 6 feet off the ground and attach the other to that so Conker won't get tangled. We took Juneau and Sasha with us one year when we went camping and they were always getting tangled in their cables and ripping the anchors out of the ground.
Make sure the collar/harness you are using is approved for tie out and escape proof and won't choke the dog if she gets tangled.
If tie-outs aren't allowed I'd loop the leash through my belt and we'd have to put up with being tied to each other.
For car camping I'd bring the crate for when I was setting up the campground or doing things where having a dog running around wouldn't work too well. Also if a ranger or other camper came over for some reason.
Always pick up/pack out after your dog.
For backpacking, if it rains I'm stuck in the tent unless It's not too bad or I don't care about getting wet.
For car camping, tarps are my best friend. I've made "houses" out of my tarps before and even set some up for other campers. If tying stuff to trees isn't allowed bring collapsible poles and use those to support the tarps. Lots of rope the dog could get tangled in but if you plot it right that won't happen.
I don't shower when I'm on camping trips, even if they are two weeks long. When it rains is when I shower.
For grocery trips I'd just take my dog with me. If it was too hot to leave her in the car I'd wait until it was cooler (morning/evening) or raining. I've been to a few places that have allowed dogs inside when it's too hot to leave them in the car but don't depend on that happening.

Always have identification on your dog, never take the tag collar of for any reason unless she's in the car. Make a point of having as many people in the campground see you with your dog to be sure they know who she belongs to if she gets loose.
Have extra leashes, collars and harnesses and bring a photo or flyer of your dog.
Bring lots of chews and toys if your dog likes them to keep her busy while you're puttering around the camp.
A dog-specific first-aid kit is a must. There are plenty of online sources for figuring out what to put in one.
Bring extra food just in case. Extra everything really, just in case. (I've had just in case happen to me before.)
Bring a towel(s) for your dog. They can be handy to wipe him off if she gets muddy, wet or rolls in something nasty. And also to lie on in the tent.
Bring an extra blanket for the dog just in case it gets really cold one night. It stinks when that happens but it can, especially if you're in a place with unpredictable weather.
For dogs with thin or short coats, get a dog jacket and keep it with you even in the summer for the same reason as above.
Always have water and shade available, E-vet numbers and locations and read up on how to prevent and care for a dog who gets heat stroke. It can kill a dog in a matter of hours or even minutes if it's hot enough.

Pay attention to what your dog barks at, look every time. It may just be a leaf blowing on the ground or a bear approaching from behind. It' better to be safe than sorry and always be prepared to drop what you're doing, grab your dog and get to your car if some type of emergency happens. (fire, insane person, that kind of stuff.)
Have an emergency bag of supplies for that if it happens; a bit of food, a water bottle, basic first-aid stuff, blanket, etc.
And duct tape. You can make anything out of duct tape.

And never, ever EVER let her chase any wildlife of any kind. This could go really bad if a deer with a full rack decides the funny looking coyote/wolf is annoying and wants to gore it. Especially if a ranger sees it happen.

Edited by author Sun Feb 20, '11 1:12pm PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 7:27am PST 
Thanks Conker for all the good info way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2