GO!

Corgi on a plane

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 2:25pm PST 
I have tried to avoid it, but there isn't a way around it. I need to fly Izi with me from Las Vegas to Tennessee come March.

I wanted a non-stop, but as luck would have it the only non-stop flights from here to anywhere in Tennessee is either Southwest (which is out because they won't fly animals in checked baggage) or flying Delta to Memphis (but that would mean trying to convince someone to drive the 5 hours to Memphis to get me).

Sooo, it looks like I will have to suffer a layover. I'm trying to avoid Northern locations such as O'Hare and Denver because weather is still iffy in March. That basically leaves me with either flying American Airlines and laying over at DFW or going Delta and having a layover in Atlanta. Delta did have a flight that had a layover in Memphis, but the layover time is only 40 minutes which I am afraid might be cutting it too close. I don't know though.

Basically I need opinions for those who've flown with dogs. Which airline/layover destination would be the best option for us?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sun Jan 23, '11 7:52pm PST 
Do you mean the 40 minute layover is too short for you, or for your pup?

I like to make layovers as short as possible when I travel w/ the pups..... it prevents them from sitting on the tarmac or cargo storage for any longer than necessary.

If you're afraid that it's not enough time for your pup to make it to the next plane, you can and should always ask for confirmation that he is, once they start to board the next plane. I've always had flight attendants come and tell me personally that the dogs have included been boarded.
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 7:27am PST 
I would prefer a shorter layover so she doesn't have to wait on the tarmac, but I'm just nervous that might be too short and I'd hate for her to not get put on the flight.
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 9:34am PST 
I think you should be fine! Again, always check before boarding, let them know you're traveling with a dog.. most agents are more than happy to confirm for you. way to go
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 11:38am PST 
Tzi, most airlines have a temperature controlled area where animals are placed during layovers.

I can also tell you from experience that you are guaranteed to have problems if you choose the flight with a 40 minute layover in the Atlanta airport. If your first flight is even in the smallest bit delayed, it could easily mean that you or your luggage/checked baggage could miss the second flight since it is Delta's "home"/main hub; They use A, B, & C concourses for domestic flights. I don't know how familiar you are with the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, but it is HUGE with a lot of distance between concourses (with both moving sidewalks or subway-type trains) in between. Plus, if you read the fine print, most flights require you to be boarded at least 10-15 minutes, or more, prior to the listed "take off" time.

I have had 60 and even 90 minute layovers at ATL where not only way my flight late, we were re-directed to a different concourse. Let's just say that with the 60 minute one I had to run and almost didn't make it. Thankfully, Scooter wasn't flying as checked baggage; unfortunately, I had to carry him the entire way since 1) I was attempting to run and 2) it was too crowded to be safe for him to be on the ground. Making the other one way cutting it very close.

Both of those happened when we were flying at least monthly

Also, please double and triple check that there will be no issues on your return flight; I know most airlines have VERY strict policies about flying checked baggage and cargo pets into Vegas due to the temps.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Jan 25, '11 11:49am PST 
shock OK, you should listen to Scooter, since she has personal exp. at that very airport.

The only airports and flights I've traveled through were onto international legs.

Every time I've deboarded from one flight to another, I stay at the window and watch them unload my kennel (I put decorations on it so I can see it easily from afar).

Then after I see them unload my kennel, I book it to my next boarding area to see them reload the kennel.

So for me it has always worked out... but I guess different airports have different lags..

International flights in my experience have way less delays than some domestic flights, I guess.

Edited by author Tue Jan 25, '11 11:52am PST

[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 9:04am PST 
Do not, whatever you do, have a layover in Atlanta! I grew up there and am very familiar with the airport. They are literally the worst airport in the US for canceling flights and having delays. In March especially the weather will be stormy. No telling how long you two might be holed up there.

DFW on the other hand is a nice airport and I've had pleasant layovers there with no problems. I'd definitely go with it over ATL.
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Wed Jan 26, '11 4:49pm PST 
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!!

I think I have it worked out thanks to my lovely in-laws who said they would be willing to drive the 5hrs from my hometown to Memphis and back. So that means I can book myself on the non-stop Delta offers and not have to worry about a layover at all!

As for the return trip: part of the reason I am heading out to Tennessee is to pick up a truck that my husband and I bought from the in-laws. So I will be driving back to Vegas instead of flying which gives me the ability to stay as long as I want.

Thanks again for the input!
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 9:34am PST 
Yes definately agree with the advice of checking with the flight attendant or aircrew to ensure that your dog has been boarded. I did this when I flew on American Airlines and the flight attendant made sure to let me know that Annie was loaded. I would have been a nervous wreck till I claimed her if I hadn't gotten confirmation. Also check the weather at all stops along the way a few days prior. If its to hot or extremely cold at any point try to make any adjustments necessary like leaving earlier/later to account for that. Also another thing to check for any paperwork or forms you need from your vet prior to leaving. Like vaccination records. for more information check http://www.pettravel.com/airline_rules.cfm this is very helpfull information.
[notify]
Jinja

Jinja - Play hard. Love- hard.

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 4:46pm PST 
I'm sure it's a little late, but next time you make this travel to TN it might be a good idea to make your last stop in ATL and take the Groome shuttle into TN. They go to Chattanooga (I've done this several times with my dog) and Nashville.
[notify]