GO!

BAD Car accident!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥The- Brat- Pack♥-

This is just the- way we roll!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 6:33pm PST 
Hey guys! I need some help. I was in a terrible accident today my car was totalled but because of my seatbelt I am alive. I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school when a woman rolled a stop sign and it ended in chaos. I almost took my Harley and decided against it THANK YOU GOD. He just sits up front with me, I am certain he would NOT have made it had I taken him. Now I need to start looking for another car. I like SUV's and I need advice on choosing a SUV that is not only safe for my daughter and I first. But my babies need to be safe also. I had a Ford Escpae and it truly saved my life. The police said had it not been for my seat belt and airbag I would probably not be here. I can't imagine loosing my dogs if this were to ever happen again. I need a dog safe SUV any suggestions?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 6:43pm PST 
hug I am sorry you had such a scare but glad you and your fur babies are okhug I dont know much about cars though, hopefully someone else can help you with that.
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 6:44pm PST 
I would suggest a safety tested seatbelt like the Roadie Ruff Rider, Champion K9, or Petbuckle. I would also suggest the animals always sit in the back seat. Glad you are OK!
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 6:45pm PST 
I am sorry for your accident. But there is no dog safe SUV, just like there are no people safe SUVs. You said your seat belt saved your life; you need to invest in crash tested seat belts similarly for all your dogs. That is the ONLY thing that is going to save your dogs. Crates and sitting on people's laps do not do the same job.

Champion seat belts is a great crash tested seat belt and will fit very small dogs, too.
[notify]
♥The- Brat- Pack♥-

This is just the- way we roll!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 6:56pm PST 
Thank you everyone. But with 6 dogs having them all seatbelted in is quite an impossiblity. I go to the dog park twice a day usually with 4. Before they were just in the cargo area with a barrier and a big dog bed. But now I was thinking about getting a couple of crates for the car. But when I just take one for a car ride they usually sit up front with me, in the passenger seat. I will deffinatley get a dog seat belt. You don't think crates in the back would be safe for them?

It's been one heck of a day, my first concern was my daughter but she was at school safe. When the cop said "do you have any animals in the car?" because I have a "spoiled rotten dog on board" decal. It hit me, Thank GOD they were not with me. And I need to be prepared for if it ever happens again.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 7:05pm PST 
Crates have been shown to explode on impact, and a flying crate with a flying dog inside is a hazard to both the driver and all other passengers, unfortunately. With a few doggy belts you can attach them to seatbelts AND cargo hooks. You have (6?) little dogs.. I think it's maybe doable, especially in a spacey new SUV! You want to be as safe as possible. We belt our 3.. Lantis takes up almost the entire back seat of our SUV, but we make it work.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Oct 27, '09 7:37pm PST 
I transport in a Volvo wagon. There is a lot of room in the back, I have dog bars to keep everyone except Auda out of the front seat. I think Volvo is a much safer car then a SUV.
[notify]
Cassie- 6/9/2000-10/- 14/2012

Feed me!!!

Barked: Wed Oct 28, '09 4:41am PST 
We use crates that are secured for a couple of reasons. A) Cassie gets carsick out of a crate. B) one of our dogs is not very social. My concern with doggie seatbelts is a dog trying to protect it's owner in a accident with emergency personnel. You may not be able to get the help you need if your dog is acting protective and/or aggressive to emergency personnel. In addition, it is much safer for my dogs (and rescuers) to end up safely in a crate that the emergency personnel can remove from the car and transport directly to a shelter, vet, etc for care.
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 28, '09 5:38am PST 
I'm sorry you were in an accident! That's always so scary!

The doggy seatbelt I have (the Snoozer) would keep a dog in the backseat from reaching any emergency paramedics from getting bit. For a small dog like Bingley, he can't even reach me from his place on the front seat (my airbags turn off when he sits there because he is so light).

I've had near-misses with Bingley in his seatbelt, and I was very happy with it's performance when coming to a sudden stop. Kept him safe and didn't even choke him.

If I remember right, my old SUV (Explorer) was made to seat four across the one backseat (and had the option of purchasing a third row seat to seat 3 more, but I didn't need it), and I'm sure there are other car/SUV/mini van options that seat even more. That way you would be able to seatbelt all your precious pups. If you were in an accident and a crate broke open, or your dog was only behind a doggy guard, if a window broke, your pups might flee in a panic.

Edited by author Wed Oct 28, '09 5:38am PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Oct 28, '09 5:54am PST 
What about a HOnda Element? They are a good multi-dog vehicle, and in the back if you put the seats up, there are little cargo hooks that you can hook seatbelts onto for their safety. And it's roomy enough that they really shouldn't get tangled if you took all of the dogs with you. The 2008 Element has 5-star crash test rating.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4