GO!

Any dog-friendly beaches in NC during summer?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy

Lucy-Loo when- she's calm &- sweet

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 9:41am PST 
Am planning my first trip with my dog Lucy to the Wilmington, NC area and would really like to take her to the beach. The 3 closest beaches - Wrightesville, Kure Beach & Carolina Beach - don't allow dogs from April - October. Any suggestions? I really want her to experience the beach if possible, but don't want to violate local laws. Do I just sneak her in in the evening? *lol*
[notify]
Lexi

Frisbee anyone?

Barked: Tue Jun 9, '09 2:26pm PST 
Take a look at GoPetFriendly.com - there's a plethora of information on pet friendly venues.
[notify]
Sukeena RIP- Beautiful- Baby

Razzzz A Roo- Girl!

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 2:40am PST 
hi ya wave Just go to the Outer Banks! The OBX is pet friendly!!
Check here for beach info and feel free to P-mail us if you need anymore help!! Have a great time!! Our girls LOVE the beach!!

www.pamperedpetsguide.com
[notify]

Katie

Daddy's girl

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 10:38am PST 
Hey, I live 5 minutes outside of Wilmington smile!

Rather than me typing out a whole bunch of stuff here is a link(Topsail Island is after Outerbank on the list & they allow dogs):

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=dog_beaches#North%2 0Carolina
[notify]
Junie

Hats not cats!

Barked: Wed Jun 10, '09 8:45pm PST 
My husband and I used to live on Emerald Isle, NC and always took our dog to the beach. We would let her off leash because there were so few people there. It's about one hour north of Wilmington. Very nice and uncrowded...especially if you know the spots to go. Also wanted to add that I lived on the OuterBanks for a summer and while I loooved it, the beaches were crowded. Topsail is nice, I think you would have some luck there...it's a little closer to Wilmington than Emerald Isle.

Edited by author Wed Jun 10, '09 9:03pm PST

[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Thu Jun 11, '09 9:30am PST 
I used to take mine to Fort Fischer (sp?) when I was living in Raleigh. It was dog friendly and my two LOVED it!
Maya, Sadie,- and Kona

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '09 6:33pm PST 
Dogs are allowed on the North End of Carolina Beach. You need a 4 wheel drive vehicle to go out there but dogs are allowed all year round there. Have a great time in Wilm. I love it here!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sat Jun 27, '09 3:22pm PST 
We live here!! Come see us for a play date!! wave The only beach that allows dogs year round is the Fort Fisher State Rec Area. We go there every week. It's past Carolina Beach and Kure Beach, right next to the aquarium. However, dogs must be leashed at all times. There's also some neat pet stores to check out: Aunt Kerry's Pet Stop and Coastal K9 Bakery. Also, many restaurants allow dogs outside on the porches/outside eating areas.

P.S. Technically the North End of Carolina Beach is Fort Fisher, and you only need 4x4 if you're going way out to fish. I've actually walked the whole area without a problem as well. There's a nice restroom and changing area, and hoses for dogs too! PM me if you need directions or any other info!

Edited by author Sat Jun 27, '09 3:24pm PST

[notify]
Abby

A pyr off leash- is a dyspyr

Barked: Sat Aug 1, '09 1:28pm PST 
I was going to say the OBX too. We go all the time with ours and there are only a few small sections on the whole OBX that don't allow dogs all year long.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sat Aug 1, '09 7:37pm PST 
We took the dogs to OBX a few years ago and had a blast... i have been going for some 24 years (my whole life) and my family has been going since in the 60's when there was NOTHING there LOL. Well, my mom and i finally decided to get a place so the dogs could come along. We stayed in the northern part of corolla (pretty much just a few miles before the end of the paved road). The dogs had a blast and were certainly allowed on the beach... there was a 6ft leash rule but no one ever enforced it when we were there (though shayne rarely got more than 6 ft away and bandit is always onleash).

OBX was a lot of fun with the dogs, we went to some dog-friendly outdoor restaurants, took the dogs to a dog bakery, and a doggy "yappy hour."

When i was doing research for our trip there were only a few beaches that were closed to dogs during turist season... some had stricter leash laws but still ultimately really dog friendly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2