GO!

Bringing a dog to the USA, quarentine?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 1:01am PST 
Well I was thinking maybe in a year or two of going to the USA for a holiday for a few weeks. I was thinking of bringing Shandi with me but I dont know what quarentine is required. I have heard that a dog has to stay in quarentine for at least 3 weeks. Also how much would it cost to fly a dog from Australia to the USA and does anyone have any experience with taking dogs on long flights (this flight taken 17 hours)?
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 4:37am PST 
Wow, Shandi - that's a long flight.

You can check out www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal/index.htm for information.

I'm on the last few days of my vacation in England. I flew from Vancouver, Canada - 9 hours. I'm an assistance dog recognized by the UK government so I got to fly in the cabin. I don't know how much the airline charges for shipping pets. I also had to do a rabies titer test six months before I was allowed into the UK but since we live in the US and Canada I don't know what it would take to bring your dog with you.

I will say if you're only going for a few weeks maybe you would be happier at home. Pets aren't allowed in many places in the US and if you are staying in a hotel you would be alone for some of the time. I've been here for almost 8 weeks this year and almost 11 weeks last year. If mom stays less than six weeks than I go back to my school.

Hope that helps!
[notify]
Chester

I'm the- Prince of- Fluffyness!

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 7:38am PST 
I'm not sure if this applies to all countries but I only had to be current on my rabies shots in order to enter the US. I brought a health certificate too, just to be on the safe side.
[notify]

Goofball

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 1:34pm PST 
I was just thinking if it's worth spending all that money and how Shandi would handle the stress of being on a 17 hour flight. In Australia we don't have rabies so I'm not to sure about the shots. Thanks for the information and I'll keep it all in mind.
[notify]
Sir Albert aka Bertie

Will work for- belly rubs

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 3:34pm PST 
I would concur that I would leave your pup at home. I flew the opposite way (U.S. to Australia) last year and it was a hard flight on me, and I got to get up and move around and use the facilities. Your pup would have to mess his crate and that seems very uncomfortable.

I think in a lot of cases it is better on the pooch to stay in their own familiar surroundings.

We have a lot of specialty stores here for dogs so you can be assured there will be a great selection of doggie souvenirs that you can choose from!

Have a good trip!
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Aug 25, '08 11:09pm PST 
Sir Albert - aka Bertie, not all dogs "mess" in their crates on flights that long. Bretta held it for 24 hours; the time it took to fly from Baltimore, MD to Seoul, South Korea with a 2 hour lay-over in Atlanta, Ga. Scooter flew in the cabin (and had a chance to go potty after we checked Bretta) and he held it for 23 hours. He had an opportunity to use a piddle pad in-flight and declined.

Shandi, since there really aren't that many dog-friendly places in the States, you'd probably be happier staying at home. Plus, you have to look at what hoops you'd have to go through (possible quarantine) to go home.
[notify]
Jesse

Jesse - Trouble with a- capital J

Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 5:39pm PST 
I have no idea on requirement going to the USA but I know about coming back. Because Australia is Rabies free (like us here in NZ), but the USA is not, you will have to quarantine your dog for 6 months on return. Is that fair on the dog for a trip of a few weeks?????
[notify]

Goofball

Barked: Wed Aug 27, '08 10:50pm PST 
Wow, I didnt know the quarentine period was 6 months. I dont really want to put Shandi through the stress of a long flight and being locked up in quarentine for a long period of time. I'll most likely be leaving her behind, in the care of a friend or kennel.
[notify]
Raju

disco didn't- die.. it was- murdered!

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 1:37pm PST 
I know this is a very old topic but......

I shipped a 3mo puppy from India to the States. It is a long and hard flight, but puppies bounce back with no problem. Contrary to popular belief, the States has no quarentine rule. If the dog has official paperwork stating current shots (rabies is the most important), then the dog is free to enter. In my experience, US customs did not even look at the dog. They just saw the paperwork and approved it. No problem. Just make sure you go to a vet that knows something about importing/exporting dogs. I had a primary vet in Benares, but learned the paperwork wasn't correct for the export in Delhi. So I went to a more up-to-date vet in Delhi and he took care of everything.

If I can import a dog from India (of all places) with absolutely no problems, you should definitely be able to do it from Australia. wink
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sun Oct 5, '08 5:43pm PST 
Raju,

I don't think the problem is getting the dog into the US but going back to Australia. Since Australia is rabies free, there might be a quarantine issue on his return.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2